Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Hirsch 20 vs Henry Clay

This questions goes out to both the people who have tried them and to the people who collect bourbon.

Which would you choose if both of them were the same price? Hirsch 20 or Henry Clay

I have to make this decision and I'm wondering what everyone thinks.

Thanks for the input
    Joe

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012
    I'd buy them both

(Because I've never tasted either one )

Dawn

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt
    I'd buy them both

(Because I've never tasted either one )

Dawn
    I'll second that, the only way to go, Joe.

Enthusiast
    As a collector, to me a Clay and Finch(together) would be equal to a Hirsch 20. I have two Hirsch 20s, and have never seen a Clay and Finch in person.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    The Clay and Finch have to be classified primarily as novelties. They are not all that outstanding, but they are genuinely unique, from long defunct distilleries (which UD wouldn't disclose the names of, the bastards).

Connoisseur

hirsch 20

I say Hirsch 20, but what do I really know. I never tried clay or finch, but have tried hirsch 20. A beautiful bourbon.

I think there is a difference between finch and clay besides the 1 year aging difference. I am pretty sure I read on here that clay is SW bourbon. That should make it more valuable than finch, but I am not so sure about decifing between hirsch 20 and clay.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I have tried both the Clay and the Hirsch 20 and would give the nod to the Hirsch. It has a rich flavour that is unbeatable. Of course it has an aged taste but it presents that feature very well. The Clay is somewhat different than any other bourbon I've had (we tasted it at Jim's recently), good but in a different league to the Hirsch, I'd say.

Gary

Guru
    [quote=Evangelos]I say Hirsch 20, but what do I really know. I never tried clay or finch, but have tried hirsch 20. A beautiful bourbon.
    quote]

I will take the opposite position... I have never tasted the Clay or Finch but I have tried (on several occassions) the 20 yr Hirsch... my take: not very interesting and largely one-dimensional; not nearly (IMHO) as good as the Hirsch 16 (any variant).
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    I'll second Chuck's comment and go a step further. To me, they are all novelties as I don't find any of them remarkable in taste. I like Hirsch 16 but find the 20 too woody for my taste. The Finch and Clay are solid whiskeys......but worth their original asking prices....much less current prices? Not to me. But if I had to choose........I'd pick the Hirsch 20yo as the more interesting novelty.

Randy

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Ditto from me as well. I would say all three of these are really more collectables; currently cost way more than what the taste of the bourbon would indicate.

I'm a drinker, not a collector. That said, if you are a collector, only 2400 bottles of the Finch and the Clay were made. I'm guessing this was way less than Hirsch 20, so those would be the better collectables.