Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottled In Bond

Connoisseur

Bottled In Bond

I am sure this question will raise some eyebrows as well as make me sound like complete rookie and/or idiot. Just something I have always wondered about but just never asked....and the answer is probably very simple & logical. What does "Bottled In Bond" actually mean? There, go ahead and !!!

Guru

Re: Bottled In Bond

See this thread , courtesy of the Search function.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

I googled it and got this...

BOTTLED IN BOND

'Bottled in Bond' is a term used for whiskey that is stored in bonded warehouses, under government supervision, while it ages for at least 4 years. The reasoning behind this system is to delay payment of the excise tax until the whiskey is actually sold and shipped to the retailer.

I don't however know if it is accurate?

Prior to the enactment of the "Bottled In Bond Act" -- the signing of which was the last official act of President Grover Cleveland in 1897 -- the collection of whiskey taxes (excise taxes on alcohol and tobacco accounted for more than half of federal revenues then!) was ad hoc: the 'revenuer' would show up at the distillery, often unannounced, and demand payment for any untaxed whiskey then in barrels.
    In exchange for a more uniform and predictable tax-collection scheme (not to mention a somewhat lower rate), the distilleries agreed to:
    <ul type="square">[*]bottle legal 'straight' whiskey from a single distilling season (e.g., 'Fall 1908', or 'Spring 1952')[*]Bottle at 100 proof (or more)[*]Store the whiskey before bottling for at least 4 years in a government-bonded (and supervised) warehouse.[/list]
    None of this guaranteed great whiskey, but did guarantee REAL whiskey, which benefitted consumers just as the refined tax collections benefitted distillers.
    In older bottlings with tax stamps (pre-1984), a BIB bottling will have a green stamp, and the distillation and bottling seasons are printed on them. That data no longer appears, but the labels DO still include a reference to the distillery (for example, DSP-KY-16, which is Stitzel-Weller).

Taster

try these two

I like these two: J.W. Dant and Evan Williams. Reasonably priced and very tasty.

Enthusiast

Re: try these two

EW BIB $11.00 and yes it is nice and 100 proof.

Guru

EW BIB $11.00 and yes it is nice and 100 proof.
    Is this the white label?
    Joe

Connoisseur

Yep, that's the one. The Very Old HH with the bottle that sort of reminds you of the A1 bottle as someone said earlier.

Enthusiast

Yes and it's a good value for 100 proof bourbon. I like all the EW stuff but this and the SB are is my favorite.

Enthusiast

the distilleries agreed to:
    <ul type="square">[*]bottle legal 'straight' whiskey from a single distilling season (e.g., 'Fall 1908', or 'Spring 1952')[*]Bottle at 100 proof (or more)[*]Store the whiskey before bottling for at least 4 years in a government-bonded (and supervised) warehouse.[/list]
    An additional requirement is that the whiskey all be produced "by the same distiller at the same distillery." That always has struck me as strange, as if he kicked the bucket during the season, it would preclude all of the whiskey being bonded. Maybe they could bottle separate bonded batches.

Jeff