Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Popular Bourbon, Wild Turkey 101

I like it when driving through Missouri. In Missouri, a lot of the Gas Stations are also liquor stores. So on the way to St. Louis, I was looking at what they were selling and it sure looks like one of the most popular bourbons is Wild Turkey 101. They sold it for just over 20 bucks, I think 21. It cose more than Jim Beam Black. It cost more than a lot of pretty good bourbon, but I had only heard on this board mention of the Rare Breed and the RR. So I was not sure but took a gamble and bought the regular 101. In fact I got it in a Traveller Flask.

So since they sell it in a Traveller Flask and in regular bottles and they have more of it than other brands I was curious what was up with that?

I tasted it and think it is really pretty good!

curious what your take on Wild Turkey 101 is and why is it so expensive? Is it as much a premium as say Elijah Craig, and Jim Beam Black etc... (it costs more).

I noticed that it does not need dilution to make it drinkable because of the taste but only because of the strength which is good. The taste is a lot different than the Jim Beam and also than the Elijah Craig, but I dont' know how to describe it.

The claim is that the Wild Turkey is aged at a lower proof so it gets more of the barrel flavors because not as much water is added to it to get it down from the barrel strength down to 101.

How do you all rate/compare it to others? And why is it so popular it is sold in all the gas stations in Missouri?

Thanks,

Paul

Guru

Re: Popular Bourbon, Wild Turkey 101

Well, it has never been a low-end product. In fact, when I started all this about 35 years ago, it was considered a premium brand. Maybe not absolutely high-end, but way up there.

But, when Blanton's came out in the mid-80's, everything since has seemed to be a succession of "ours is better than yours" one upmanship. As a result, yesteryear's best products now seem to be run of the mill.

The same thing has happened with other spirits (scotch, vodka, even tequila), cars, and many other product categories. In the 70's, Zenith was pretty much a luxury brand television. Now, it is just a marketing name on low to mid quality mass merchandise.

At least WT101 is still a decent quality product.

Tim

I haven't had WT 101 in a few months, but this got me reminded just how much I DO love it! And where I am at in SoCal it can be found on sale at Rite Aid for $14, yes that's right $14 on sale at rite aid of all places! Along with the 1.75L of Evan Williams at $13 those two were my 'every night' pours. But as I stated in one of my other posts I find the WT 101 holds up every bit as well to the WT Kentucky Spirit which is a much higher price! Need to check Rite Aid tomorrow and see if it is on sale!

Have to say that the WT is probably as good if not better than the Woodford Reserve I am sipping right now...

Connoisseur

That is a great price! The best I can do here for same bottle is $21.00 - so, you are definitely getting a good deal.

In re to WR, I liked it the first time, did not the second time. Anyhow, I would put WT against it any time and WT would come out on top 9 times out of 10 IMHO.

INCREDIBLE you mention that! Because I almost did not want to finish my WR I poured this evening! I was sitting here thinking how I'd like to have WT instead, guess I will not be buying anymore of this...

The funniest thing about it? It is the most advertised bourbon I have seen in magazines (other than Makers maybe), I see it in just about every men's magazine I open; therefore I should have known it'd be a disappointment!

Guru

I also prefer WT101 over Woodford Reserve and many other solid mid-shelfers. Even over some top shelf brands.

If I have an everyday pour, it is WT101. Always on hand, always good.

Tim

Connoisseur

IMHO Wild Turkey in ANY form, even the 80 proof, is a cut above Elijah C and at least a couple of cuts above Jim B. I know I will catch hell over this next comment....but, I have never enjoyed any bourbon from the Jim Beam product line. However, that is not the case with Beam's "Small Batch Collection (Knob Creek, Baker, Basil Hayden & Booker's"). Of those I have had the pleaure to try, I have enjoyed. But straight JB - in any form, is not my idea of a good pour - even on a rainy day. As I said, there will be hell to pay for those comments....but, I also said IMHO....and opinions are like something else in the human anatomy - and everybody has one.

Wild Turkey is simply a legend in its own time. In my younger days, I was not too crazy about WT101 because I felt it was too strong, too much burn. However, I was dumb & stupid...not knowing how to really savor & enjoy it to the fullest. All these years later I have learned better and it is now one of my favorites. You can never go wrong with WT in any form you may find it. That cannot be said of many other 'families' of bourbon. In fact, and again this is just IMHO, maybe not any except Van Winkle, Hirsch, Maple Farms, etc. That is pretty high & lofty company....at least in my book.

Disciple

Paul,

For me WT 101 is a real taste per buck hit. In fact I had my last pour of it last night. And it is not only god to drink neat or with a few drops of water. It is very good with desserts and cakes as well. The real hit was this summer when a friend in waited me for some barbeque. He told me the dessert was barbequed bananas with vanilla ice-cream and that I should bring my on drinks. I brought WT 101. I can say it was a smashing hit with the desert. And my friend ho normally donít like and drink bourbon fought so too. Sorry to say but the brand is very difficult to get here in Europe. Instead there are another WT 8 years old that are sold here. It is much dryer and not at all tasty to my personal taste buds.

Leif

Enthusiast

I'm with the others. For 25 years, I've considered WT 101 maybe the most reliable buy out there, in terms of price and quality (explorations fueled by this site have put others on that list). I guess people in Missouri agree. As to why it's in a "travel flask" (I guess you mean the flattish plastic 750 bottle), I don't know, but have noticed that no other quality bourbon is packaged like that here in Atlanta, just lower-end ones.

On cost, one thing is that proof costs money. Some of that is taxes we don't see, but also just general market pricing; if a buyer is going to drink everything at 80 proof, it would be dumb sell a bottle of 100 for the same price as one of equal quality, but 80 proof. You'll see that in every line; OGD 86 is about $13, 100 is $17, 114 is $22. Some of that is reflected across product lines.

But of course, the real answer on cost is, that's what they'll pay. Through a combination of quality and marketing, buyers are willing to pay more for WT 101 than, say, OGD 100. I think marketing has to play a big role, else I can't understand why JB white goes for $2-5 more than other 80 proofers that are, well, let's say at least as good.

Bob

Connoisseur

This is a great thread! I also love WT101. I enjoy ALL WT products, really. KS, RB and both RRs are great, and they do get the most airplay here but the regular 101 is as good as anything out there. Better (to me) than anyone else's "baseline" product (though regular BT is pretty tasty too). Great flavor and a great value. I really like the lower distilling proof. It shows up in the bottle, for sure. Was it luck or is Jimmy Russell some kind of genius?? I have no idea but thanks for starting this thread. I think WT higher end products have, in some ways, caused people to gloss over this turely wonderful Bourbon.

Ken