Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Email to Wild Turkey re: proofs

Oberholtzer is I believe the original name of the Overholt family, and I wonder if this person is a descendant of the first Overholt who invented a famous rye whiskey. Distilling is a close-knit business, as we see e.g., from Beams and others with names storied in the history of bourbon or other spirits manufacture working at Heaven Hill.

Anyway this was a nice letter and while I wonder if people really wanted the drink to be less strong, really one could not expect a different response from Wild Turkey on this subject.

Gary

Connoisseur

Re: Email to Wild Turkey re: proofs

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about Wild Turkey Bourbon. We always enjoy hearing from loyal customers.

Comments and suggestions such as yours provide us with important feedback regarding our products. We appreciate your continued patronage of Wild Turkey Bourbon and hope you continue to enjoy our products.

The new Russell’s Reserve has been lowered to a 90 proof. This was to respond to the needs of the consumers who wanted a product still tasteful but less strong. We are just diversifying our range, but the flagship brand, the 101, will still be the 101.

Warm regards,
    Earline Oberholtzer
    Wild Turkey Bourbon
    Consumer Relations

I responded to Earline that they should advertise how to dilute your own Wild Turkey and that I myself don't drink much at full strength but learned how to add water. A person can make it whatever proof he wants.

I told her its a lot easier to make it a lower proof than a higher proof for us customers.

Paul
    From the rehearsed 'boilerplate' response you got, you obviously were not the first person to whom Earline has responded. Though it is frustrating, I'm sure she is just doing her job. However, it does not excuse WT from such a lame response. I don't think the "needs of the consumers" is of any importance or consideration in re to RR101 or anything else for that matter when it comes to the bean counters....just a lot of they expect us to buy into & believe.

After a couple of years with RR90 sitting on shelves, an inch deep in dust, and backed up at the warehouses & wharfs....well, maybe Austin, Nichols will get the message.

In the meantime, my goal is clear: harvest all the RR101 monetarily possible. From my experience, even if WT finally 'gets' the message, there will be no turning back the clock. When the knot-head bean counters finally relent and admit defeat, RR90 will probably be phased out altogether. Then, as someone else on here has said, we'll be running around snatching up all the RR90 we can find.....but, the RR101 will be very, very long gone by then.

Well, best to end my latest rant on this subject...it does no good!!!!

Wayne

Connoisseur

Re: Popular Bourbon, Wild Turkey 101

Rare Breed is about the only Turkey I have never tried. How does it rate up against KS? Or, is that not really an apples-to-apples comparison? I have no good excuse for having never purchased a bottle of RB. It may be a mental block that I have: WT is only supposed to be 101 proof. Which also might explain my total rejection of RR90.

WT=101 and 101=WT, plain & simple.

Rare Breed was for years (and at that time) my favorite Bourbon, period. It accounted for 80% of everything I bought. Even though WT distills and barrels at low proof than many, having the final product at barel strength was a plus. Still, you don't add much water to a 109 proof barrel to bottle it at 101

A couple years ago, for no reason I can really define, I switched over to KS. It just has a bit more to it... That said, I just finished a bottle of RB yesterday and it was darned good. Had to go replace it right away.

I know what I'm having tonight though... WT 12! (Thanks Wayne!) Keep hunting!

Ken

Connoisseur

Ken
    Successful hunt again today .....and I wasn't even trying!

Wayne

Ken
    Successful hunt again today .....and I wasn't even trying!

Wayne
    I don't believe I've ever seen this, just one more thing to keep my eye open for!

Connoisseur

Wild Turkey 101 Gift Label

It might seem cheesy to some, but if you go to the Wild Turkey web site , you can order up to 5 free personalized labels for the 101 bottles. I thought it was a nice idea for gifts for my buddies who seem to have everything. I like those WT products. I have yet to try the Rye. I am getting a bottle tomorrow and will try it against the Van Winkle family reserve Rye which I have yet to open.

Connoisseur

Re: Wild Turkey 101 Gift Label

thats cool! I saw that a week or 2 ago and was just waiting for an occasion to get some labels.

Connoisseur

Re: Wild Turkey 101 Gift Label

They also offer this for Rare Breed. I did this over the holidays for some close friends and they got a real kick out of it.