Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Popular Bourbon, Wild Turkey 101

Well, being the resident Missourian on the board the only reason I can think of for all the gas stations having it is that for years it was THE high proof whiskey in these parts. Most people drank Jack, Beam, Seagrams 7 or Crown Royal and all were 90 proof or less. For a night of hanging your head back and howling, Wild Turkey 101 was the choice. It's a shame but most is consumed by the shot, thrown down the gullet without really tasting it.

Also, you have to consider that the gas stations pretty much keep only a small selection of spirits due to limited space. They only carry what they figure will turn around quickly and WT 101 is a well known brand name. The fact that they advertise on local radio here doesn't hurt either.

Enthusiast

When I am in a bar I can always count on them having WT 101. I do not drink it neat but order over ice with a coke on the side. I think it is a fantastic bourbon value at 101 proof. I always felt like this was a case of a company knowing they had a good thing and not screwing it up. I hope they donít make any changes.

Connoisseur

When I am in a bar I can always count on them having WT 101. I do not drink it neat but order over ice with a coke on the side. I think it is a fantastic bourbon value at 101 proof. I always felt like this was a case of a company knowing they had a good thing and not screwing it up. I hope they donít make any changes.
    Actually, I hope they don't make any MORE changes. They already dropped the 8yo age statement and the most recent concern is the reduction of RR from 101 to 90 proof. I find these trends disturbing. I'm sure every distillery has ongoing discussions of how to generate the most profit and reducing the age or the proof would seem to be 'low hanging fruit' as we used to say. Our only hope is someone in the company is more quality focused and knows how to turn quality into profit rather than doing it through cost reduction. So far I'm still using my dollars to vote (mostly) for Wild Turkey. Time will tell.

Ken

Enthusiast

I did not know they had made any changes to the regular 101. I'm sure it is still 101 proof.

The website still shows RR at ten years and 101 proof.

Connoisseur

There have been some changes but I am not sure of the timeline or specifics. Ken will be able to fill us in on that info and I hope he does. Thus far, my tastes are not yet refined enough to tell the difference between 'now' and 'then'. That is mainly because of the amount of time that has elapsed in my experience with WT101. I was a regular consumer about 20 years ago and do recall the label indicating an age of 8 years. How long it is now aged, I don't know. However, somewhere in my flickering recent memory banks I seem to remember 7 years for the current edition.

In the last few weeks, I remember coming across a cache of 101 somewhere that had an older label on the bottle that included the line "Old No. 8". Now, whether I would be correct in assuming that meant it was the same as 8 years old or not is yet unproved. As I said, Ken can educate us a bit on the subject. He has helped this newbie tremendously in respect to WT and bourbon in general.

Connoisseur

Thanks Wayne, those are very kind words. You are correct there was a #8. I've not had it but my hunch is this was labeling slight of hand to evoke exactly that impression. WT101 did used to be 8 years old. While there is no current age statement the assumption would be it is no longer as old as eight years validating your point.

However, age statements are often removed to give the distiller more flexibility (not necessarily to just allow age reduction across the board) in selecting the whisky to include in a bottle. If the bottle says it's 8 yo then the youngest whisky must be no less 8 years old. There may indeed be 8 yo whisky included in the current WT101. It may all be 8 yo. But since it doesn't say that, all you can do is assume.

Regardless, it's very good. Would I like to know the distilling proof, the barreling proof and the age of the whisky? Yes, I would. But the ultimate challange is taste. Does it taste the way you want it to and is it priced fairly? If so, enjoy.

Ken

Connoisseur

The website still shows RR at ten years and 101 proof.
    It lies.

Ken

Connoisseur

Thanks Wayne, those are very kind words. You are correct there was a #8. I've not had it but my hunch is this was labeling slight of hand to evoke exactly that impression. WT101 did used to be 8 years old. While there is no current age statement the assumption would be it is no longer as old as eight years validating your point.

However, age statements are often removed to give the distiller more flexibility (not necessarily to just allow age reduction across the board) in selecting the whisky to include in a bottle. If the bottle says it's 8 yo then the youngest whisky must be no less 8 years old. There may indeed be 8 yo whisky included in the current WT101. It may all be 8 yo. But since it doesn't say that, all you can do is assume.

Regardless, it's very good. Would I like to know the distilling proof, the barreling proof and the age of the whisky? Yes, I would. But the ultimate challange is taste. Does it taste the way you want it to and is it priced fairly? If so, enjoy.

Ken
    Absolutely! We do at times seem to get caught up too much in the numbers when taste is the ultimate test & most important factor of all. I follow what you are saying and agree it is a good thing to give the distiller some flexibility. What none of us like is what we have seen of late with RR. That is bordering on sacriledge !!!

for your help & insight - mucho appreciation!!!

Advanced Taster

This is what jeff wrote in post 33003 back on 8/7/2004:

"First off, the current WT101 is a mixture of 6,8 and 10yo bourbons, mostly 6 I have been told. While the Current WT 101 is a spicy, manly kick in the pants, the 8yo, to me, seems a little more smooth and refined."

Wild Turkey 101 used to be 8 years old and the label said so. Then came the "Old #8 brand" label (shown in the Regans' "The Bourbon Companion"). I don't know if the bourbon was then younger than 8 years old, but my guess is it was, or why change the label? Then the eight stuff on the label was dropped altogether and, if jeff is right, the current WT 101 is mostly 6 years old. I assume jeff is right.

Personally, I have no problem with giving master distillers all the flexibility they want and need. Certainly Jimmy Russell! But the problem is that the distillery company bean counters have some VERY significant say in when bourbon is ready to sell and this is perfectly illustrated by the Russell's Reserve proof lowering fiasco. This is why I like age statements: time can't be speeded up.

That said, it still comes down to taste and personal buying decisions: do I like it and is it worth the asking price? If so, the age doesn't matter much. But the flip side of this is that it validates marketing, focus groups, etc.: try to find out what people will like and what they are willing to pay for it. And this means that nothing is permanent and traditions have to yield to later marketing/profit needs. So, keep your fingers crossed that WT 101 stays that way. BTW, is there still a WT 86.8 proof or is the 101 proof joined now only by the 80 proof?

Enthusiast

I have only seen the 101 and 80 proof.

To bad about RR I had a few bottles years ago and liked it. Thought the price was a little high for what it was but it was good.

I did not remember the 8 YO statement on the bottle but as I said I drink WT most of the time in bars. I have mabey bought 10 bottles of any WT in my life.

I often have it in my hand and opt for EW BIB 100 proof, I like it almost as well and at $11 can't be beat.