Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Popular Bourbon, Wild Turkey 101

Many here (including me) have met Jimmy and agree with you, he is very down to earth and always seems to have time for a chat. Last time I was at WT he was sitting in the gift shop, chatting with visitors and signing bottles. That's where my signed Rare Breed came from

Ken

Connoisseur

Rare Breed is about the only Turkey I have never tried. How does it rate up against KS? Or, is that not really an apples-to-apples comparison? I have no good excuse for having never purchased a bottle of RB. It may be a mental block that I have: WT is only supposed to be 101 proof. Which also might explain my total rejection of RR90.

WT=101 and 101=WT, plain & simple.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

That's my point as well, others here are more versed in trademarks and trade dress but it shows that there is an underlying lack of understanding by the bean counters at WT if they fail to realise that 101 proof has a really big thing to do with the indentification of Wild Turkey. Truthfully I don't see a place in this world for an 80 proof WT. Like we've all been saying, water is still fairly available to all of us if we want to add our own. I have access to spring water that has been finding it's way into Jim Beam bottles since the mid 30s. I would think that would be as good as anything they can pump out of Ky River.

What's next? Bottles of Makers sans wax seal!

Connoisseur

That's my point as well, others here are more versed in trademarks and trade dress but it shows that there is an underlying lack of understanding by the bean counters at WT if they fail to realise that 101 proof has a really big thing to do with the indentification of Wild Turkey. Truthfully I don't see a place in this world for an 80 proof WT. Like we've all been saying, water is still fairly available to all of us if we want to add our own. I have access to spring water that has been finding it's way into Jim Beam bottles since the mid 30s. I would think that would be as good as anything they can pump out of Ky River.
    Well put...nothing to add...AMEN and AMEN!!!!!

Wayne

Truthfully I don't see a place in this world for an 80 proof WT. Like we've all been saying, water is still fairly available to all of us if we want to add our own.
    Yes, AMEN. I have been to many a bar where WT is their premium or ONLY bourbon (sorry bartender JD ain't broubon) and I have to ask always "is that 80 or the real WT 101?" I love it, love it, love it and for the price I love it even more!

I work for one of the largest Engineering/Construction management firms in the world, we have filtered water in most of our offices; therefore if I need water I got plenty, for free. So God bless the WT101, GTS and the other barrel proof bourbons we are lucky enough to have!

Connoisseur

Truthfully I don't see a place in this world for an 80 proof WT. Like we've all been saying, water is still fairly available to all of us if we want to add our own.
    So God bless the WT101, GTS and the other barrel proof bourbons we are lucky enough to have!
    Absolutely! When I started back with bourbon a couple or three years ago, the lower proofs appealed to me initially. However, not WT because as I have already stated.....WT is synonymous with proof 101. I have never even witnessed one person buying a bottle of 80 proof. Who buys it? Maybe it is for medicinal purposes only.

My advice to WT: drop the 80 proof line and with the freed-up dollars, restart production of RR101...and, maybe a new WT101-12 every few years for us serious WT fans. Is that asking too much?

Wayne

Administrator in exile

Well, In defense of WT80, I'll say that to me, it's the best 80 proof bourbon on the market, and it is what I cut my teeth on, along with Maker's and Woodford Reserve. I do now prefer the 101, but I think there is a place for the 80. It is what it is, and has always been-unlike RR 90

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree and it may be the best value, generally available bourbon in the market (neck and neck anyway with Evan Williams 7 year old but I think the latter is less consistent). WT 80 is, to my taste, much more drinkable than Jim Beam and more interesting (and less costly) than Maker's Mark. It is good at eighty proof precisely because the traditional methods used to make it allow flavor to come through even when let down to 40% ABV. Recently on my travels I wanted a bourbon and the only one available was Jim Beam White Label. I ordered it but after a small sip could not finish the glass. The older expressions (i.e., Beam Black, of course Knob Creek and Booker's) are good whiskeys but the taste profile of Beam White today is one I just can't get past. It reminds me of price bourbons from the 1970's such as Bellows and Virginia Gentleman (at the time not nearly as good as today, in my view).

Gary

Enthusiast

I don’t think WT101 at $18-$20 a bottle here in LA should go against EW or even EW BIB. EC is about $16 to $18 a bottle here and though it’s 7 points or 3.5% less alcohol to me it is a little better. Always 12 YO, and always more than I expect for the money. Weller’s 107 is close on price point too and is also, in my mind, a great value.

As I said above I love WT101 because:

a. You can find it in just about any bar
    b. It’s consistent, the blending of several years may help this

As far as WT 80 proof goes I have to agree that it has a place. People that drink rum that may be as low as 70 proof would have a hard time making the step to 101. Eighty proof gives them a taste of what good bourbon has to offer without hitting them over the head with a shovel.

Enthusiast

Email to Wild Turkey re: proofs

I wrote an email to customer care telling them about the concern of lowering the proof. Here is the response I got:

Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about Wild Turkey Bourbon. We always enjoy hearing from loyal customers.

Comments and suggestions such as yours provide us with important feedback regarding our products. We appreciate your continued patronage of Wild Turkey Bourbon and hope you continue to enjoy our products.

The new Russell’s Reserve has been lowered to a 90 proof. This was to respond to the needs of the consumers who wanted a product still tasteful but less strong. We are just diversifying our range, but the flagship brand, the 101, will still be the 101.

Warm regards,
    Earline Oberholtzer
    Wild Turkey Bourbon
    Consumer Relations

Wild Turkey is world-renowned as a truly singular bourbon. Don’t forget to try all of the Wild Turkey range: Wild Turkey 80 Proof, Wild Turkey 101 Proof, Rare Breed, Russell’s Reserve, Kentucky Spirit, Wild Turkey Rye, and Wild Turkey Liqueur.

www.wildturkeybourbon.com

I responded to Earline that they should advertise how to dilute your own Wild Turkey and that I myself don't drink much at full strength but learned how to add water. A person can make it whatever proof he wants.

I told her its a lot easier to make it a lower proof than a higher proof for us customers.

Paul