Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jack Daniel\'s Black - Old No. 7 - 86 Proof

Customer demand, crap! -- the tax savings on 9M cases is $13 million. Straight to the bottom line. All the rest is 'purty' words. 'Nuff said.

Connoisseur

Customer demand, crap! -- the tax savings on 9M cases is $13 million. Straight to the bottom line. All the rest is 'purty' words. 'Nuff said.
    Probably a drop in the bucket for Brown-Foreman Corporation........but, you're right > "'Nuff said".

Enthusiast

"JD Lite" would not have worked. Think about it: JD is a pretty strongly-flavored whiskey, yet it seems that much if not most of its market is not whiskey drinkers. I suspect that most of the JD consumed is not savored for its flavor, but either knocked back in shots or drowned in Coke, methods which will eliminate much of the distinctions between JD and any bottom-shelf bourbon costing half as much.

So why do the people who drink JD drink JD? Because it's cool. Because it's a rough, tough, take-no-prisoners whiskey! Because it's the subject of collegiate shared-ordeal rituals.

But, to fulfill that purpose, it has to be Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Black Label. That's the icon. JD Lite, no matter how good or how appropriate for the intended purpose, would not be the same thing.

Perhaps more to the point, JD already offered Green Label, which was 80 proof before the proof dropped on the black label version, and it wasn't flying off the shelves.

Meanwhile, BF has probably noticed that people who actually drink whiskey for the taste are willing to pay more for the good stuff, so they put out JDSB at nearly double the cost of the regular stuff. Although they would never be so blunt as to actually say it, I'm sure the response in BF's collective mind to complaints about dropping the proof is, "Hey, if you care so much, pony up the bucks for the good stuff!" Their indifference to our opinion regarding the regular JD is total. If everyone on this board bought a case of JD every week we still would be insignificant to them.

Connoisseur

You make some excellent points....which for the most part I cannot disagree. I cannot agree in full with your taste evaluation. It definitely is not a flavor to necessarily "savor".....but, IMHO is still a sizable cut above all the bottom shelf bourbons and can hold its own with many of the middle shelfers. Of course, everyone's tastes are different and that is just a reflection of mine.

It is undeniably a cultural icon. I have no clue as to why anyone would buy J.D Green - especially now since both are 80 proof. Isn't the green label really just black label reject - having failed to meet the black label taste profile? Why/How does it survive? Maybe only due to a small following or the ignorant masses.

The indifference is definitely total from Brown-Forman. So, I guess if I ever go back to being a J.D. regular again, you'll find me holding a JDSB in the checkout line at my local store.

Enthusiast

I have no clue as to why anyone would buy J.D Green - especially now since both are 80 proof. Isn't the green label really just black label reject - having failed to meet the black label taste profile?
    The difference is age: green is younger, by about a year if I recall correctly. In fact, as I understand it, the green label is the original Jack Daniel's whiskey; the black label version, older and stronger, was introduced to commemorate the death of Jack Daniel; the green label is closer to what he actually sold during his lifetime.

I've been meaning to get a bottle of JD Green for a while, to side-by-side with JD Black. I'm sure it's a little less refined, but it's also less expensive. Does an extra year in the barrel justify the extra price? Inquiring minds want to know.

Connoisseur

...the black label version, older and stronger, was introduced to commemorate the death of Jack Daniel; the green label is closer to what he actually sold during his lifetime.

I've been meaning to get a bottle of JD Green for a while, to side-by-side with JD Black. I'm sure it's a little less refined, but it's also less expensive. Does an extra year in the barrel justify the extra price? Inquiring minds want to know.

[/QUOTE]

Very interesting. I did know the green label was older in terms of being closer to the original recipe but did not know when/how/why the black label arrived on the scene.

Never been interested in trying JD Green....that is, until now. You have perked my interest.....and inquiring minds do want to know. Maybe someone already knows - ? And can save us a few bucks.

...Isn't the green label really just black label reject...
    Well, yes and no. Somewhere in my email archive I've got the response to that directly from the distillery, and I'm too lazy to go search for it, but the gist is this:
    Sometimes they miscalculate just how many barrels of this age from that warehouse they need to marry together to get a batch of JD #7 Black Label. The pulled barrels they don't use (often too young) are replaced, then dumped into a batch which become JD #7 Green. They were not rejected because of any inferiority; they just pulled too many too-young barrels.
    We sell both in the store, and the green-labeled one is consistently lighter in color, so presumably younger. Mostly 'old-timers' buy it, which lends credence to Chuck's point about it being the original 'recipe' and older. And it's only a dollar or so cheaper per bottle at the 750ml and liter sizes, so B-F ain't givin' it away.

It definitely is not a flavor to necessarily "savor".....but, IMHO is still a sizable cut above all the bottom shelf bourbons and can hold its own with many of the middle shelfers. Of course, everyone's tastes are different and that is just a reflection of mine.

While I agree it has a good flavor, I'd take Evan Williams Black label at about 1/2 the price over JD any day, which if I recall correctly is still 86 proof. And as for a more pricey mid shelfer Knob Creek IMHO blows JD off the shelf. Anyway, you are right everyone's tastes are different I just stopped drinking Jack, well, back before I was legal but after my older brother turned me onto EW ...

Connoisseur

While I agree it has a good flavor, I'd take Evan Williams Black label at about 1/2 the price over JD any day, which if I recall correctly is still 86 proof. And as for a more pricey mid shelfer Knob Creek IMHO blows JD off the shelf. Anyway, you are right everyone's tastes are different I just stopped drinking Jack, well, back before I was legal but after my oder brother turned me onto EW ...

[/QUOTE]

EW Black has been an alternative for me when the wallet is light....and, it is a good one. As for KC, I have mixed opinions at the moment. My first bottle was polite and enjoyable. The last couple have been rather harsh and unpredictable. I doubt I will buy any more for some time to come.

I have not ever really stopped drinking JD altogether. Like many, my tastes have evolved & matured thru the years. It has reached the point that for the last couple of years, I have become a bourbonian 95% of the time when I have a pour. That has left little time for JD - which is probably how I missed the 86 to 80 proof reduction until just recently. However, I still have a special place in my heart for JD and absolutely love it with soda.

You cannot live in Tennessee and not tip your hat & glass in honor & respect to Mr. Daniel. Not to do so is just outright dishonorable for a Tennessean in my book....IMHO bordering on blasphemy .

While not gone or forgotten, I just have not the time or money available for as much of ole Jack as in the past.

You cannot live in Tennessee and not tip your hat & glass in honor & respect to Mr. Daniel.
    Amen to that and I agree 100%

Even being from Oregon, temporarily lost in California, I'll always respect that man!