Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: Jack Daniel\'s Black - Old No. 7 - 86 Proof

...Isn't the green label really just black label reject...
    Well, yes and no. Somewhere in my email archive I've got the response to that directly from the distillery, and I'm too lazy to go search for it, but the gist is this:
    Sometimes they miscalculate just how many barrels of this age from that warehouse they need to marry together to get a batch of JD #7 Black Label. The pulled barrels they don't use (often too young) are replaced, then dumped into a batch which become JD #7 Green. They were not rejected because of any inferiority; they just pulled too many too-young barrels.
    You are much closer to Lynchburg than me....and, the owner of a Southaven, MS store who told me something today I find impossible to believe. He said J.D. Green is going away soon. I told him that he must be joking and I would consider it only rumor and utter nonsense.

However, he swore it was the truth. The basis for the decision he said was due to the fact that both Black & Green are now the same proof (80)....in other words, Green is hurting the sales of Black.

Now, I never was one to think Jack to be hurting in any facet of their sales. Any basis to believe such a thing? You heard anything like this? I have not heard this elsewhere nor on here. Therefore, unless you tell me otherwise, I am going to dismiss this as pure rumor and nothing more.

Wayne

An interesting point was made about non bourbon drinkers mixing JD with soda because whenever I just want to drink whiskey and not think about it, I'll frequently pull down a bottle of JD and mix it with Coke. I just like the sweetness of it. My version of the whiskey-KoolAid cooler I suppose.
    I never realized I was following a yuppie trend though.

Disciple
    I took a tour of the JD distillery last April and the tour guide told us that Brown Forman pays the government approx. $9 million a month in alcohol taxes attributed to the production and sale of Jack Daniels. This business of the proof reduction being consumer driven is garbage. It is purely money driven, plain and simple. In Ohio, JD black is 19.80 a 750ml bottle for the 80 proof. I remember buying my last bottle of the 86 about 3 years ago for 17.75 and that included a 50 cent markup to cover the cost of the shotglass that came with it. Anyone who can withstand a shot of 80 proof Jack can handle an 86 or even 90 proof drink as well. same thing with WT Russells Reserve being reduced to 90 proof. If I order a shot of Wild Turkey in a bar, I fully expect one that is 101 proof. I have never been served one that was the "lightweight' version of 80 proof. I don't recall even seeing a bottle of 80 proof WT on a bar back!

thomas
    Last edited by ThomasH; 02-21-2006 at 14:56.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    An interesting thread
    I've got a bottle of JD at home that has been in my cupboard for years - I wonder if it is 80 proof or 86 - I'll check tonight.

I've also got one of the large glass Jack Daniels bell bottles from the 80's that is relatively untouched. This thread makes me wonder what proof it is as well....

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    This business of the proof reduction being consumer driven is garbage.
    I wouldn't call it consumer driven, more like the consumer doesn't care enough to complain-of course most JD consumers aren't exactly the most whiskey conscience people, so they probably wouldn't notice the difference...think about it, you go to the store(or more likely the bar) the only whiskey you ever buy is JD, you know you want the black and not the green;Gentleman and SB are for special occasions: are you gonna check the proof(or ask the bartender) every time, hell you might not notice it for years!

I have never been served one that was the "lightweight' version of 80 proof. I don't recall even seeing a bottle of 80 proof WT on a bar back
    I remember visiting a beer bar with a good bourbon selection in NYC about 3 years ago, they had Bookers, several VW, but WT80-no 101 .
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    Hmmm, my bottle of JD Black Label is 43% ABV, so I guess that makes it the 86 proof. The stamp on the bottom is 03 95 - so I'm guessing it's from the mid 1990's?

Interestingly, both Australian web sites I checked both list the ABV of JD Black Label as 43%.......

Slightly off-topic -
    The JD Bell that I spoke of is actually the JD Inaugural bottle - commisioned to honor the 80h anniversary of Theodore Roosevelt's election as President. There's no mention of what whiskey is inside of it.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by camduncan
    An interesting thread
    I've got a bottle of JD at home that has been in my cupboard for years - I wonder if it is 80 proof or 86 - I'll check tonight.

I've also got one of the large glass Jack Daniels bell bottles from the 80's that is relatively untouched. This thread makes me wonder what proof it is as well....
    I wonder if it's 90!!!???