Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Novice

Re: Jack "Bananas" Daniel's

I can taste this too. My chemistry buddies tell me it's isoamyl.

Apprentice

I really liked JD until I tried real bourbon. Any sentimental attachment I had for JD was washed away when I found out they watered it down to 80 proof. What strikes me as odd is that it still retains that bad boy of whiskeys image despite this. Just goes to show how much people are swayed by good marketing. I occasionally find myself in situations where JD is the only "bourbon" in the bar (airplanes, convention centers) in this case I still prefer it to most other drink choices, but only when mixed with coke.
    I have always noticed that odd taste that you describe as day old banana peels, but I had never been able to place it. This description seems as apt to me as any, but I'll have to try it for myself.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lar03 View Post
    I really liked JD until I tried real bourbon. Any sentimental attachment I had for JD was washed away when I found out they watered it down to 80 proof. What strikes me as odd is that it still retains that bad boy of whiskeys image despite this.
    A little over a year ago we were entertaining some friends when someone remarked about all the whiskey in my liquor cabinet (glass door). At that time I had a bottle of JD (86 proof). I overheard one person say in reference to the Jack Daniel's : Ooh! One shot of that and I'd be on the floor; or something to that effect. That bottle of JD was sitting next to a bottle of Booker's, WT RB and 05' Stagg. Marketing and name recognition. What else could explain it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Marketing and name recognition. What else could explain it.
    Ignorance?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    At that time I had a bottle of JD (86 proof). I overheard one person say in reference to the Jack Daniel's : Ooh! One shot of that and I'd be on the floor; or something to that effect. That bottle of JD was sitting next to a bottle of Booker's, WT RB and 05' Stagg. Marketing and name recognition. What else could explain it.
    Then again, it's a lot easier to slug down a shot of 80-86 proof whiskey than something like Stagg, Booker's, OGD 114 et.al.

Even though I usually take Stagg neat, I sip it so slowly that a single pour will last a looooooong time, paradoxically lowering my overall alcohol intake.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!