Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Apprentice

Buffalo Trace - Experimental Collection

I stumbled across the below site and decided to try a few random names and came up with a new Buffalo Trace bottling (BT Experiment French Oak Aged). Does anyone have any information about this?

I am having problems posting the picture so you will have to do the following. Click on the below link. Put in a recent date begin range (I used 1/1/05) and then type a name in Product Name (Buffalo Trace). To see the label click on the TTB ID No. and then Printable Version. If you enlarge the label there is a good deal of info on it.
    TTB

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Buffalo Trace - Experimental Collection

Interesting, seems to have been bottled some time ago, and there was only 1 barrel, so likely (I would think) not intended for commercial sale despite the label registration. Note the barrel was built at ISC from French staves.

Gary

Apprentice

I missed the 1 barrel on the label. Makes sense now. I assumed since they registered the label it was for commercial production. I also figured it was new since the label was just registered in Aug 05. Guess I just got a little too excited by the possibility new BT product.

I found that website to be interesting though. I found several new beers on there not released yet but not too much in the way of bourbon.

Apprentice

Guess I just got a little too excited by the possibility new BT product.

A few weeks back there was a BT (Bufalo Trace) tasting at the Spinghurst store in Louisville. I was a little early and had a chance to talk with a rather tallish man from BT as he was setting up the display before the MD came in. During the conversation we got around to talking about speciality bottlings BT puts out and how pleased I was at the recent Antique Collection. Well conversation got around to other "special" things BT is doing and he let me know that this year, I believe he said in April or May, that BT is going to release a French Oak bottling and the prince will be ~$400-$500 range. I was shocked.

Is this true? Could Ken Weber, or anyone at BT, talk about this?

I assumed he wasn't pulling my chain and this thread brought that back to the forefront of my little mind.

I better start saving my $ now. If it's like Pappy 23 you need to know someone in order to secure a beauty line this.

Any other info on this from anyone?

ChuckMick

Enthusiast

The gentleman in question is John Vereeke, our state sales manager. If you can keep a low profile on this (Mark will kill us if he finds out word has leaked), I can confirm that we will be releasing a few different "experimental" barrels of bourbon and other whiskies within the next month or so. Only a barrel or two exists for each experiment, so distribution will probably be as an exclusive to an account like Binny's or Sam's or ......

Ken

Virtuoso

Only a barrel or two exists for each experiment, so distribution will probably be as an exclusive to an account like Binny's or Sam's or ......
    Ken
    Or an ad hoc group of bourbon enthusiasts!!!

I'm sure I'm not overstating that I can guarantee we'll even write up reviews for you.

Roger - Don't make me come up with more cheesy song lyrics - Hodges

Advanced Taster

If these get released to a particular store, please let us know! I'm happy to order it from wherever, but just want to get in on the goods!

Advanced Taster
    The spirits buyer at the store I work at called me over to his desk the other day to talk to me about the experimental collection. We've supposedly been put on a short list of stores to receive a case. It looks like the whisky will be in 375ml bottles and will be extremely limited in quantity. There are 4 variations, with one being aged twice or "finished" for 8 months, I believe, in a different barrel. I just skimmed the info on them, but they all sounded very interesting. I can't wait.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Now that the cat is entirely out of the bag on this, how many of you are looking forward to paying $45 for a 375 ml bottle of "experimental" whiskey?

That said, the French Oak one is quite tasty.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Well, originally I had heard that it was going to be around $80 for that size so suddenly it doesn't seem so bad, but still might be more than I'm willing to cough up...gonna have to try it first.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile