Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I'm trying not to be one of the complainers, and though I tried-even though I originally said that I'd have to try it first-to obtain a bottle, I wouldn't say I put much effort into it. I contacted only one retailer, instead of using some of my better contacts to try to obtain some. I really didn't try too hard because it was a bit hard to justify spending that much money on that little bottle when I had never tried it first.

However having said that, and still not begrudging BT or any of the people who managed to get a bottle, I would like to know how BT decides who was on their "preferred retailer" list. I only really wonder this because the store that I did contact is a well known and popular retailer in Louisville, that carries a large selection of bourbon (including every BT and VW as well as all the KBD products and is the only place I know of in Louisville to get Rittenhouse), yet they told me that they didn't make it onto that list! How? Why?

Oh, Well! No hard feelings. If I had really wanted some I would have tried harder. Maybe, just maybe, there is some at a bar somewhere to try
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    Maybe, just maybe, there is some at a bar somewhere to try
    If you find some in a bar anywhere - I'd make sure that you see them open the bottle!

Look out for counterfeits - easy to do with this label...
    Last edited by Grant; 05-12-2006 at 15:11.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    I would like to know how BT decides who was on their "preferred retailer" list. I only really wonder this because the store that I did contact is a well known and popular retailer in Louisville, that carries a large selection of bourbon (including every BT and VW as well as all the KBD products and is the only place I know of in Louisville to get Rittenhouse), yet they told me that they didn't make it onto that list! How? Why?
    I thought I made that clear. BT can allocate to its distributors but it's up to the distributors from there. I don't mean to be disingenuous--BT has influence with its distributors--but it's the distributor who decides which retailers to allocate to and the retailers who decide which consumers to allocate to.

My point is that BT, while surely hoping the release would be a blow-out success, certainly had no guarantees that it would be.

My further point is that the distributors and retailers, being reasonable business people, gave their best customers first dibs. Remember that "retail" means both on- and off-premise (i.e., bars as well as stores). "Best" means "biggest" as in "most money spent," and while all of us here probably think we spend a lot, probably not one of us is on the top 10 list at the place where he or she shops. I know I'm not.

Also, don't discount the possibility that the person you talked to at your leading Louisville retailer was lying.

All I'm saying is that if you want to blame BT for something, make sure it's something BT actually did.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Also, don't discount the possibility that the person you talked to at your leading Louisville retailer was lying.
    That thought did cross my mind...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by TMH
    The real issue is the various state regulations and overall alcohol distribution system in the U.S. that act like barriers between consumers and producers, which I doubt will ever change. That's too bad because companies like BT would benefit from a different system and so would we.
    Yup, Even if it's not BT fault, it reflects back on BT and I'm sure BT doesn't like it.

It's funny that people here are being labeled "complainers" when this product information was orginally released and hyped here.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

The one thing about alcohol regulation to keep in mind and always remember is that it has nothing to do with health, safety, protection of children, or anything else other than the collection of taxes.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    The one thing about alcohol regulation to keep in mind and always remember is that it has nothing to do with health, safety, protection of children, or anything else other than the collection of taxes.

That's a fact !
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Taster
    I thought I made that clear. BT can allocate to its distributors but it's up to the distributors from there. I don't mean to be disingenuous--BT has influence with its distributors--but it's the distributor who decides which retailers to allocate to and the retailers who decide which consumers to allocate to.

My point is that BT, while surely hoping the release would be a blow-out success, certainly had no guarantees that it would be.

My further point is that the distributors and retailers, being reasonable business people, gave their best customers first dibs. Remember that "retail" means both on- and off-premise (i.e., bars as well as stores). "Best" means "biggest" as in "most money spent," and while all of us here probably think we spend a lot, probably not one of us is on the top 10 list at the place where he or she shops. I know I'm not.

All I'm saying is that if you want to blame BT for something, make sure it's something BT actually did.
    cowdery

Once again I ask - how would you consider a release of 1,200 375ml bottles that never make it to the general population - even be considered to be part of a 'blow-out' success?

BTW cowdery - How many of these bottles do you own?
    Last edited by Grant; 05-12-2006 at 19:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    cowdery

Once again I ask - how would you consider a release of 1,200 375ml bottles that never make it to the general population - even be considered to be part of a 'blow-out' success?
    They quickly sold everything they made, at presumably a nice profit, and reaped a lot of publicity. The tenor of some of the comments here aside, they left the public wanting more, laying the groundwork for future success on perhaps a grander scale. And they furthered their reputation as a leader and innovator in their industry.

I don't know what business you're in, but how is that not a 'blow-out' success?

Taster
    They quickly sold everything they made, at presumably a nice profit, and reaped a lot of publicity. The tenor of some of the comments here aside, they left the public wanting more, laying the groundwork for future success on perhaps a grander scale. And they furthered their reputation as a leader and innovator in their industry.

I don't know what business you're in, but how is that not a 'blow-out' success?
    Thanks for disregarding - and not responding to -the points of my previous entries in this thread when asking you point blank questions.

I don't know what your affiliation is with BT - but I find your comments from the start of this thread thru your last - to be from one extreme to the other - i.e. contradictions.