Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Old Rip 15yo v. Pappy\'s Reserve 15yo

My very first Van Winkle bourbon was Pappy 20, and in hindsight I think it was really a mistake to start at the top. The Pappy seemed to program me for the taste profile I wanted. When I went looking for a younger, more lively Van Winkle and tried Pappy's younger siblings, they were good, but seemed to disappoint in a way.

Now that the Pappy 15 is around it fills the niche quite nicely.

That said, I've tasted ORVW 15 and Pappy 15 in a side-by-side and there were some times when I honestly couldn't tell them apart. From what I understand they are whiskey from the same batch, just selected for profile.

Advanced Taster

Let me rephrase my last post... ORVW 15 is one of the finest $45 Bourbons. Pappy 20 is the FINEST Bourbon for $80....There's not enough words to describe Pappy 20....

Guru

There's not enough words to describe Pappy 20....
    AMEN
    Joe

Virtuoso

I had the good fortune to find a couple of bottles of ORVW 15/107, but I only took one home. The next time I went looking for it, the other bottle was gone.

As for ORVW 15 vs. PVW 15, to me it's a tossup - each has lots to offer, even though they are not identical. That being said, if I ever come across another ORVW 15 sitting on a store shelf, it's going to follow me home.

Connoisseur

I feel very fortunate to have found these. The first time I ever saw ORVW was about 3 years ago when I first moved into my present neighborhood and visited the store closest to home. I went in there for a bottle of Maker's and JD. I remember seeing the price somewhere in the $35-45 range. Also, I distinctly recall telling my wife about ORVW when I got back home and remarking "people must be crazy if they think someone is going to pay that much for a fifth of bourbon....ha! ha! ha!". How ignorant, stupid, and foolish I was! - and that was just 3 years ago. I was old enough to know better! If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone back that day and bought all they had. Oh well, live and learn. Besides, it makes the hunting all the more fun and finding something special a unique experience. Best of all, I make new friends on here all the time while sharing the experiences.

Last Item: I've hooked up with a local store owner who thinks he knows where there is a whole case of ORVW 15yo that has been covered up & forgotten for several years in his warehouse inventory. I told him if he finds it, I'll figure out some way to buy all of them. It remains to be seen whether his hunch is correct. We'll have to wait & see if that one pans out for the good. I'll update as soon as I know more.

Wayne

Enthusiast

I coulda swore that someone knowledgeable--I thought it was--Julian posted here when they made the switch that ORVW 15 and Pappy 15 were the same bourbon, just in different bottles, but now I can't find that post.

I would love to see the results of a blind tasting comparision. Never underestimate the power of expectations to affect perception; i.e., I can easily envision people "perceiving" differences between two identical products, especially with something with as many subtleties and fleeting hints of different flavors as good bourbon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Julian has made several comments to me about the Pappy 15 and he's also posted here on the board. The whiskey is SW ..... therefore its the same as the ORVW 15/107 in that sense. His son, Preston, helped him in the barrel selection. That might make it different. Lastly, the first bottling of Pappy 15 was done in the summer of '04 and that Pappy 15yo was damn near a 16yo. He thinks that additional time may have resulted in a slightly different whiskey. Many of us here ran out and purchased that original Pappy 15 ..... and many posted they liked the original ORVW 15 better. The next Pappy 15's he bottled were younger and probably closer to the ORVW 15/107's we all love. I've had the newer Pappy 15 and I like it a lot. I have not done a side-by-side with ORVW 15/107, but I'd guess they'd now be hard to tell apart.

Randy

Guru

Here is a second-hand recounting of Julian's comment regarding the old and the new bottlings.

My flaky palate suggests to me that there are two different taste profiles involved, but I'm certainly not inclined to argue with Julian about his own bourbon. (It's been well over a years since I've partaken from my lone remaining bottle of ORVW 15/107; maybe it's my memory, not my palate, that's malfunctioning.)

I have yet to do a blind comparison. If I were to do so, perhaps I would discover that my true preference is for short bottles rather than tall ones.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

I am headed out early tomorrow morning across the northern section of DeSoto county of the great state of Mississippi to pick up my ORVW 15yo. Hopefully, I'll find some other dusty corner secrets in other stores along the way. Also, picking up another Stagg 131.8 and maybe some others such as Weller Centennial and WLW. One shop down there has WTRB for $28. We can't get it for less than $34 around here. I may pick one of those up as well. Bottle prices in MS tend to be about 25-33% lower than in TN. It always makes for a fun day....especially since we have gotten all this rain & I cannot do yard work.

Update tomorrow on my discoveries and acquisitions.

Wayne

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Update tomorrow on my discoveries and acquisitions.
    Perhaps I should interject my standing offer of a 2002 GTS for a 1987 EWSB.

Happy hunting!

One more thing, I reserve the right to decide the number of trades on this in the event that I am inundated by claimants.