Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bourbon in Las Vegas

I'll be finding myself in Las Vegas this week and want to know what bars have the best selection of bourbons. I'm also curious if anyone knows of any shops that have the rare and harder to find bourbons and whiskies?Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Hare

Guru

Re: Bourbon in Las Vegas

A search on "+las +vegas", absent the quotes, revealed this post from a Vegas resident. (Where's Blackkeno been lately? Anyone?)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

I just returned. I looked everywhere, and I did not find much (although in another post I shared how I found a bar that served Crown Royal, Canadian Club and Jack as their "bourbons")But at the MGM, Nobhill I had Old Potrero (rightfully listed as American Whiskey)And they had a decent list. I was told Craftsteak, also in the MGM had a great selection, unfortunately it was after I returned.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

The bar at Craftsteak (MGM) has a good selection as does the bar at Delmonico's in the back of the Venetian. Both have ORVW 15/107 from Lawrenceburg. Delmonico's has Hirsch 16, Pappy 20 and 23. The "upscale" bar in the middle of the Mirage's gaming area serves a nice pour of Rock Hill Farms.

Randy

Advanced Taster

The bar at Craftsteak (MGM) has a good selection as does the bar at Delmonico's in the back of the Venetian. Both have ORVW 15/107 from Lawrenceburg. Delmonico's has Hirsch 16, Pappy 20 and 23. The "upscale" bar in the middle of the Mirage's gaming area serves a nice pour of Rock Hill Farms.

Randy
    I really wish I would have checked SB.com before I went, the best I had was Old Potrero and Baker's. Chaz

Connoisseur

Try the Fontana Bar at the Bellagio. Last time I was there they had Van Winkle bourbon and rye, and a good selection of other bourbons.

Enthusiast

As I have reported earlier, Olives at Bellagio has Blue Wax Hirsch 16 and VWFRR 13. Ruth Chris has EC 12 and 18 and quite a few others, and Valentinos in the Venetian, has a bunch of Bourbons including Bulleit.

Enthusiast

Bourbon in Las Vegas

Sorry I did not see your post sooner! Not many great bourbon oasis in this desert other than what has already been posted.

All the more reason that I enjoy welcoming visitiors personally. Any regular list members coming to Vegas are welcome to contact me so we can arrange a get together. I presume Dougdog will vouch that I am a decent host.

Thanks,
    John

Connoisseur

When in Vegas...

I was recently visiting Las Vegas for the annual A7 meeting of “PLOWED” Society. (I posted some information about that event under the Foreign Whiskey section of this forum, at “Dougdogs’ SMSW)

Through a mutual friend, Marty, I was privileged to meet John in his home a day prior to the A7 event. Any Bourbon enthusiast would be very well taken care of to have a sip of our “American Drink” from his collection of premium Bourbons and Ryes’. Same could easily be said from his collection of SMSW…Frankly, I had a taste of the best SMSW in my life when he opened a bottle of “Greenbank”…an independent bottling of Scotch from the Springbank Distillery…..I digress, But Thanks! John…that was quite an experience…

The rest of the story unfolds into an armchair excursion through Ireland. Already on sensory overload from the Springbank and a great Longrow, John unloaded a significant number if old and rare Irish Whiskies from his beautifully displayed open bottles. Now, having developed an appreciation of Irish whiskey from the bottles in my collection and a few other experiences, I though I had a pretty good grip on the range of flavors and quality available from the “Emerald Isle”….Oh, how wrong could I be….I’m frantically looking for some training wheels to bolt on, at this point in time. John being a gracious and perceptive host proceeded to “show” me through Ireland on a bottle by bottle example…It would be and understatement to say that there is some pretty good whiskey made there.

So, having said all that, I’ll vouch for Johns’ hospitality…I would also mention the experience at Johns’ home, when he spoke with certain words, they affirmed a feeling that I have long held, that is, having good whiskey to drink is one thing…drinking good whisky with other enthusiasts is even better.

One doesn’t need to feel awkward taking John up on his offer, I think I can safely say he rather enjoys the company of other enthusiasts.

Thanks again John…I look forward to any future trip to your home town…

Best regards, dougdog

Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Listening to Doug, one might think he arrived empty handed. He provided me with a few eye-opening whiskey experiences of my own. He had more 4/5 quart bottlings than I had ever seen in one place before!

Glad you could make it Doug. Hope we can get together again soon.

Thanks,
    John