Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Despair

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I Despair

I despair for my nation. Exhibit: "Vodkas outsell every other spirit combined." Stephen Cunningham, Nightclub and Bar Magazine, January 2006.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Re: I Despair

Don't Despair, Enjoy.
    Our preferred spirit choice is not for everyone.
    That's one of the reasons I like it.
    (The Whole "Road Less Travelled" thing)

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

If whiskey were to suddenly outsell vodka, can you even begin to imagine the kind of supply problem we'd be in right now?

Of course, if it had been selling that well all along, we might have a few more distilleries producing some products we'd all be chasing after.

If whiskey were to suddenly outsell vodka, can you even begin to imagine the kind of supply problem we'd be in right now?..
    That cinches it -- I'm stocking up!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

That cinches it -- I'm stocking up!
    If you're not stocked up, then I'm in serious trouble!

Connoisseur

Yeah, me too.

And Chuck, if only people drinking tasteless spirits were our biggest problem!

Ken

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Yeah, my biggest issue is that whilst we do get some fantastic bourbons Downunder, some of the best bourbon on offer from the bourbon world will probably never make it to us

Connoisseur

Yeah, but you have shrimp on Barbie.... er, on THE barbie... whatever......

Ken

Connoisseur

I despair for my nation. Exhibit: "Vodkas outsell every other spirit combined." Stephen Cunningham, Nightclub and Bar Magazine, January 2006.
    This reminds me of a time about two years ago when I visited a brew pub in St. Louis. I went inside and sat at the bar and had a couple of their beers they brewed...an IPA and a stout. They were absolutely great...rich, full of taste, just awesome beer. As I sat there drinking them, five or six guys came up to the bar over the course of 15 minutes or so and ordered Bud Lights. I asked the bartender why all these people were ordering Bud Light. He shook his head and said it was their best selling beer.

Don't Despair, Enjoy.
    Our preferred spirit choice is not for everyone.
    That's one of the reasons I like it.
    (The Whole "Road Less Travelled" thing)

I raise a glass to that!

Consider if you will the relatively recent “birth” of bourbon, now I am may be completely wrong here and am going strictly off memory so if I am feel free to correct me, but I believe bourbon’s origins can be traced back to the late 1700s sometime? Vodka and scotch for that matter can both be traced back to the 1400s. Again I am strictly going off what I can recall in my studies, which by the way should be on business law, econ and philosophy, but I digress. I sincerely think, as others have mentioned here, we should ENJOY that this chosen spirit of ours is currently less popular than vodka (and scotch). I mean lets be honest it’s incredibly doubtful that anything will ever overtake vodka’s popularity when you consider that probably the world’s favorite cocktail is made with vodka, or gin I guess though I’ve never had a gin martini. Is that even considered a martini? Heck I ain’t even sure anymore!

I think we will see an increase in the popularity of bourbon soon, most likely we are already seeing it. And I would not be surprised if, as everything American it becomes the most popular spirit, sans vodka, sometime ‘soon’ – maybe not our lifetime though. After all it was just a year or two ago that we saw Bill Murray nominated for an award for a movie he stared in where his job was to market a whisk(e)y in JAPAN. Yes I know it was not bourbon but still how long before the Japanese who are often fond of American products take up bourbon? “Whisky, whether domestic or imported, is a very popular drink among Japanese consumers, perhaps even more popular than Sake.”

Consider also the price aspect, a good bourbon can be for a relatively low price, under $20 I think we’d all agree there are some very good bourbons! And yes you can get a pretty good vodka for that, you don’t drink it the same way - have you ever tried a scotch for less than $20? I have.

Excuse my blind American pride here for a moment: Enjoy it now, sit back, hold on and watch as us Americans prove yet again, we are the best at whatever we set out to do!