Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Cool Naw.....leave it alone!

Quote Originally Posted by T47
    I see I need to move Bookers into position 8, but my computer boots me from the net every time I hit the edit button
    That's OK. I think your computer is deliberately refusing to make the change. They say that computers do not make mistakes and though the sheer numbers dictate that you move Booker's to #8......I for one will go along with your computer and keep it where it is. In fact, I fail to understand how it made the list. Must be some folks up at Beam stuffing the ballot box! Just kidding! I guess I'm too hard on Beam at times!

Enthusiast
    Lordy!

After seeing just how crazily popular ORVW 15YO/107 is I feel foolish putting it into my honourable mentions list. Can't believe RHF is not in the top 10 either!

I really do prefer the 10YO VW though - well maybe one more snifter of each, just to be sure...

Super work on keeping the scores Todd!

Connoisseur
    Ah, Rock Hill Farms, another that should be on the list at tied for 10 position with 10 votes...I really need to get Adobe on my Computer so I can copy and paste the list. I have Word, so I have to go back an forth and when I put it on here, re-write it each time. I will switch the list over to Adobe at work today, so I can straighten that out.
    Todd

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambernecter
    Lordy!

After seeing just how crazily popular ORVW 15YO/107 is I feel foolish putting it into my honourable mentions list.
    I really do prefer the 10YO VW though - well maybe one more snifter of each, just to be sure...

Super work on keeping the scores Todd!
    Well than we are 2 and I would also put ORVW 15 into my honourable mentions list if I had one. Iím also impressed of Toddís work on the al together list.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Advanced Taster

Cool

Update on Top Ten for me:

1. George T. Stagg Fall '05
    2. George T. Stagg Spring '05
    3. William Larue Weller
    4. Pappy Van Winkle 15yr
    5. Old Weller Antique 107
    6. Bookers
    7. Buffalo Trace
    8. Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr
    9. Wild Turkey 101
    10. Eagle Rare 101
    "A glass a day keeps the doctor away"
    Sincerely,
    George

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane
    Well, you convinced me to give it a try. Maybe during Thursday night chat so that if I drop out for a while someone can dial 911....
    Well...how did you make out???

Connoisseur
    So now I find out that ER 10 and ER 101 are the same thing...creates a little shift along with a couple people who chose to change some votes. Our new current top ten is as follows;

1) Van Winkle Lot B (16) Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery
    2) ORVW 15 (16) Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery
    3) WT RR 101 (15) Austin Nichols Distillery
    4) George T Stagg (15) Buffalo Trace
    5) Bookers (13) James Beam
    6) Elmer T Lee (13) Buffalo Trace
    7) Eagle Rare 10 (12) Buffalo Trace
    8) WT RB 912) Austin Nichols Distiller
    9) Pappy Van Winkle 15 (11) Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery
    10) Pappy Van Winkle 20 (11) Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery

If its true that Pappy 15 and ORVW 15 are the same thing, that's the run away favorite with 27 Votes. I really need to try some Stagg...between all the different releases it has 24 votes (Thats covers those who just voted for GT Stagg, any year, and the 9 folks who like a certain year better [2002 through fall of 2005] than others.
    In my region, the least expensive bottle with the most votes, EC 12 (10).
    114 Different Bottles, 44 Voters
    Todd

Guru
    So now I find out that ER 10 and ER 101 are the same thing...
    I have both on my shelf right now.

Eagle Rare Single Barrel is ten years old and 90 proof. It's packaged in the same tall, elegant bottle as the Antique Collection (Stagg, Saz, etc.).

Eagle Rare is also 10 years old, and it's 101 proof. My bottle happens to be plastic and 1.75 l. capacity. I understand from others on this board that this bottling has been discontinued.

I suppose the bourbon might be the same as it is/was dumped from the barrel, but it is different in the bottle.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur
    A couple voted for ER SB, the others just listed at ER 10 (which is 101) or ER 101 (Which is the 10 non SB version) so what the heck...It's not really scientific anyway!
    The EC 12 is $19.00 here in WA. The ER 10 (non SB version) is only $20. The only other "near 20 or less" bottle that had a bigger group of votes was BT which is also $20 here when you can get it.
    For me it just helps me to recognize bottles when I walk in the store and helps to narrow my shopping. I don't think I have seen unanimous dislike of any brand yet, seems at least one person always has something good to say.
    Todd

Disciple
    I decided to put a different spin on the top 10 list: I have picked out my favorite american whiskies from each distillery, including Tennessee and rye. there might actually be a few more than 10, but you get the basic idea. Not all are the oldest or most expensive, just my favorites based on taste and price:

Pappy Van Winkle 15/107
    Buffalo Trace
    Jim Beam Black label
    Wild Turkey Russells Reserve 101
    Gentlemans Jack Daniels
    Woodford Reserve
    Wild Turkey Rye
    Bulleit Frontier bourbon
    Johnny Drum 15
    Evan Williams 1783 10yr.
    Makers Mark mint Julep
    Colonel Lee 100

Now before anybody takes any good natured pot shots at my list or declares me insane, a few notes on the above list. I just plain love the Van Winkle 15, eespecially considering the price of the other Van Winkles. the Buffalo Trace is easy to get, tastes great and is an excellent value. Jim Beam black is like an old friend, its been with me since the beginning of my legalized consumption ( way back in 1986). Wild Turkey Russells Reserve 101, my current favorite bourbon, enough said. Gentlemans Jack Daniels, my favorite of this overhyped, underproof group. if you notice, there is no George Dickel on the list, mainly because I haven't found one I like yet, and I've tried them all. Woodford Reserve, another one I just liked from the 1st taste. Wild Turkey rye, a good balance between taste and texture, sort of rough and tumble, the way I like rye. Bulleit, good taste and price, available everywhere in my area. Johnny Drum 15, the only KBD whiskey I've had and bought this for the incredible price of 21.88. Evan Williams 1783, not a big HH fan, but this is excellent value for the money. Makers Mark mint julep, my favorite whiskey liquer type drink, not easy to get, but I wisely bought a case after first taste and before the price doubled. last and maybe least, Colonel Lee 100, at 6.65 a bottle on closeout in the great state of Ohio, this is the perfect, economical fuel to add to my favorite mixer, ginger ale. OK everyone, not that I let my cats out of the bag, give it your best shot!

Thomas