Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rye Virgin

Advanced Taster

Re: Rye Virgin

Ralph:

"Have you ever heard of an old PA rye called Sam Thompson"

I have, and was even excited to find a place that sold it, until I found out that I'd found Old Thompson, a crappy American blend.

Stotz

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Isn't "crappy American blend" redundant?

--Chuck Cowdery

Advanced Taster

> Isn't "crappy American blend" redundant?

Sadly, yes. Why the Scots have figured out how to blend straight whisky with neutral grain spirits to make some phenomenal blended whisky and us 'merkins haven't is beyond me. Of course they've had a little head start, but not that much.

Stotz

**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry to drift a little off-topic here, but this a question that I've been curious about lately. Are there NO good American blends? None? Zero? Zip? Zilch?

Everytime I walk into the nearest liquor store I see at least a half dozen different American blended brands, all buried in the back somewhere. Surely SOMEONE's drinking them.

Just wondering,

doug

Advanced Taster

Doug:

"Are there NO good American blends? None? Zero? Zip? Zilch?"

If you're willing to accept a loose definition of American, I can handle Seagram Seven Crown, which is a blend of American and (I think) some Canadian spirits, but is classified by Seagram as American. I don't know about "good," but perfectly acceptable in my book.

Stotz

Advanced Taster

Blends! We don't need no stinkin' blends!

Bill
    http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/

The blended whiskeys of Canada and Scotland are blends of several straight aged whiskeys. Canadians can add some flavoring spirits, but I don't know the exact regulations.

American blends are completely different. They are a throwback to the old days of "rectified whiskeys," concoctions containing mostly neutral spirits and flavorings and little or no mature whiskey. Here is the legal definition:

"Blended whisky" (whisky--a blend) is a mixture which contains straight whisky or a blend of straight whiskies at not less than 20 percent on a proof gallon basis, excluding alcohol derived from added harmless coloring, flavoring or blending materials, and, separately, or in combination, whisky or neutral spirits.

An American blend is 20 percent whiskey, 80 percent whiskey helper. It is a whiskey meatloaf. It's meat-like, it contains meat, but it's no filet mignon. I haven't done a serious tasting of them, an odious assignment.

If you are someplace where only blended whiskey is available, have a beer. If you must drink the stuff, at least have a manhattan.

--Chuck Cowdery

Re: Wry Virgin

I don't think American blends merit any serious consideration. They taste however the boys in the lab want them to taste. I would be interested in a blend of American straight whiskeys, made the way Canadians and Scotches are, but there aren't any.

Of course, we could make them ourselves at home, e.g., the stateliness of Woodford Reserve balanced by the insouciance of Fighting Cock, finished with a little Sazerac Rye. I'm making myself thirsty.

--Chuck Cowdery

**DONOTDELETE**

I heard that Ancient Age makes a blend that is very good. I've been looking for it for a few months now and haven't been able to find it anywhere in town (Las Vegas). I know I could order it, but it seems silly to spend $10 to ship a $8 whiskey. Anyone seen or tried this?

John A. Dube

Enthusiast

You are speaking of Ancient Age Preferred. It is available only in a few markets around the country.

Ken