Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Novice
    Thanks for the heads up. I saw the JD episode and it was sweet. The story about Zippo lighters wasn't bad either.
    Christian

I missed the first couple minutes, I'm not happy about that! But what I saw was interesting.

Guru
    On my schedule I set up to tape at 08:00 Central US time and saw that it was going to repeat at 11:00 Central. You might be able to catch it again later....
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur

Question

Interested to know/hear reaction to the program. I had to work late and missed it. Was it informative and enlightening?

Enthusiast

Maker's Mark

I enjoyed the program; however, there was only enough time to provide a brief history of Maker's Mark and the town of Loretto , a broad overview of the process, and limited footage of the property. I was fortunate enough to visit Maker's Mark last year. It is in a beautiful setting and the staff provided an interesting tour. Anyone visiting the area should include a visit to Maker's Mark. I recorded the presentation and if anyone is interested in a copy, please send me a private message.
    Doug

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ProofPositive
    Interested to know/hear reaction to the program. I had to work late and missed it. Was it informative and enlightening?
    I agree with Doug. It was nicely done but so short it was kinda like junk food. Not enough substance to be satisfying. We also toured the distillery last year and had a wonderful tour. It was Arlene's favorite, by far. She even dunked her own bottle in wax! It's on our mantle.

Bottom line, I was glad to see it but it wouldn't have negatively impacted my life if I'd missed it.

We need some more in depth stuff.

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Some Marketing Hype

They mentioned they are using the same yeast since the beginning. I think we know that Van Winkle supplied the yeast 50 years ago when they started up again.
    They perpetuated the oldest continuously operating thing. I don't know about that either.
    If my memory serves me the site and operations and Makers Mark/Samuels have not continuously operated in any location for 147 years or whatever they claim.
    They stated that column stills are unique to bourbon. That's not true either, from a spirits or industrial aspect.

I'm not sure how the whole Sisters of Loreto thing plays into the winter wheat thing, but its a nice story.
    Other than that, the piece is good.
    Love the toasting on the porch.

Bill is such a unique and affable character.

You gotta love him.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Guru

You know what they say...

Keep telling yourself you're a dog long enough and you start to hike your leg next to trees and chew on house slippers....

I taped it last night and watched it this morning after I got off work. Other than the discrepancies Ed mentioned I found it a decent little spot. But I actually found myself waiting for Ratzenberger to start spouting Clavenisms. Now if George Wendt had pulled up a rocking chair next to him and Bill I would have really gotten a kick out of it....
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.