Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank your Ryes

Enthusiast

Rank your Ryes

I've noticed that Straight Ryes are as loved by most of us here and Bourbon. I've been buying a bottle or two of every Rye I can find and pouring a glass of each of them. I'm going to rank them in my favorite order and then ask everybody to do the same.

1. Sazerac 18 (you pick the year)
    2. Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye 12yr
    3. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 yr
    4. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 1985 ( This one's thick as maple syrup)
    5. Rittenhouse Rye BIB
    6. Old Potero 18th century whiskey ( Yes I love this one)
    7. Black Maple Hill 18 yr SB Rye
    8. Wild Turkey 101 Rye
    9. Sazerac Jr
    10. Old Overholt
    11. Jim Beam Rye

These are how I rate my current open bottles of Rye. I have a VWFRR 13 Lawerencburg that I havnt open yet and I just located and put a hold on a BMH 15yr Rye and A H Hirsh 13yr Rye(both done by JVW), so when I get to them I'll update my list.

Joe

Taster
    You're having some good look there - that's quite a list of acquisitions!

My most recent purchase is the Saz Jr. (from Binny's). It's nice, but like you I think the Rittenhouse BIB is better. I'm not sure yet how much better, but I'll be doing more research on that tonight!

Virtuoso
    I found that the Saz Jr. benefits from a bit of air - there was some harshness in my first pour that wasn't there after the opened bottle had spent a week or so on the shelf.

To me, it and the Rittenhouse are both excellent whiskeys in their own right. I have yet to try some of the others on the list, like Old Overholt, Beam, or two of the Van Winkles (I have the VWFRR - mmmmmmmm).

I've made the Sazerac cocktail with three different ryes - Rittenhouse BIB, WT, and Saz Jr. Each of them were fine drinks! The whiskeys' character shows up in the cocktails - the Rittenhouse version tended to be a bit sweeter, the WT spice was plainly evident in WT version, and the Saz Jr. was right in the middle.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
    I found that the Saz Jr. benefits from a bit of air - there was some harshness in my first pour that wasn't there after the opened bottle had spent a week or so on the shelf.
    Thanks for the heads up. My bottle has been open less than a week, so I'll give it a few more days to "develop."

Connoisseur

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Blowe
    I think the Rittenhouse BIB is better. I'm not sure yet how much better, but I'll be doing more research on that tonight!
    I see Rittenhouse mentioned quite a bit here in the Forum. Can someone educate me on this one? It is not a bottle I have ever seen in a store. So, I would assume it is out of production(?).

As for the ranking, my experience with rye is still very limited. The only ones I have are a couple of bottles of the VWFRR and will have some Saz in the bunker soon. I have been enjoying other stuff so much that no time yet to try the rye.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I see Rittenhouse mentioned quite a bit here in the Forum. Can someone educate me on this one? It is not a bottle I have ever seen in a store. So, I would assume it is out of production
    No it's not out of production, but in limited markets. I've only seen the 80proof in Louisville, but have seen the BIB in Chicago and in the St. Louis area.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster
    For the people that have tried it, where would you rank Pikesville? It's the only rye I've tried so far (being from MD and living near Pikesville, I had to try it). I have not ventured any further into Rye-land so far, so I'm just curious. I find that it's drinkable, but I much prefer some bourbons in the same price range if I buy from that end of the spectrum.

Jay

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by jspero
    For the people that have tried it, where would you rank Pikesville? It's the only rye I've tried so far (being from MD and living near Pikesville, I had to try it). I have not ventured any further into Rye-land so far, so I'm just curious. I find that it's drinkable, but I much prefer some bourbons in the same price range if I buy from that end of the spectrum.

Jay
    Jay,

I would rank it very low. There is much better rye out there and I will come back with my top ten list soon.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Well, I'm going make two lists -- "Current" and "Ever Had":

"Current" ryes:
    • Rittenhouse 10yo BIB
    • Van Winkle Old Time/Family Reserve 12/13yo (same rye, different age -- slight edge to the 12yo version)
    • Classic Cask 22yo
    • Rittenhouse 6yo BIB
    • Black Maple Hill 18yo (Bardstown/KBD)
    • Sazerac 6/7yo
    • Wild Turkey
    • Pikesville
    • Old Overholt
    • Sazerac 18

"Historical" ryes:
    • Heaven Hill/Rittenhouse? 21yo
    • 1930s Monticello (courtesy John Lipman at Sampler last)
    • Rittenhouse 10yo BIB
    • Van Winkle Old Time/Family Reserve 12/13yo (same rye, different age -- slight edge to the 12yo version)
    • 1930s Pikesville (courtesy Dave Ganano at Sampler last)
    • Classic Cask 22yo
    • Rittenhouse 6yo BIB
    • Black Maple Hill 18yo (Bardstown/KBD)
    • Sazerac 6/7yo
    • Wild Turkey
    • Old Overholt
    Tim

Disciple
    [QUOTE=TNbourbon]Well, I'm going make two lists -- "Current" and "Ever Had":

[*]Rittenhouse 6yo BIB
    [*]Heaven Hill/Rittenhouse? 21yo

Tim,

Must ask you a couple of questions concerning your list. I have never heard of a 6 year old BIB Rittenhouse nor have I heard of any previous 21 Y old. The only ones I have heard of is the no age 80 and 100 proofs, 10 Y 100 proof and that it will come a 21 Y single barrel this fall. I would be interested to here more about this 2 for me unknown Rittenhouse.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey