Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank your Ryes

Connoisseur
    Leif,

For all I know, there is a Rittenhouse BIB for the US market. My guess is that Tim refers to that one. I had no idea that it carried an age statement, though.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Let's see if I can remember all I've had:

VWFRR- the earlier the better with the sweet spot being the C-bottling
    Sazerac 18- this seems to follow the above rule as well best of '01 IIRC
    ORVWOTR
    Hirsch 13- though this is the same rye as the VWFRR, the batch I had gets bumped a notch or two compared to the best of the VWFRR
    -these top four could all get switched around depending on batch/year
    Saz Jr
    Mitchers 10yo-this is the Commonwealth bottling
    Old Potrero-barrel proof Malt Rye 3yo
    Lot 40-I know it's Canadian
    WT Rye
    Old Overholt
    Rittenhouse 80
    Jim Beam

Some products I haven't had enough of to rank:
    Ritt BIB
    BMH 15 SB
    Classic Cask-seems like it was 17yo but I know it wasn't the 22
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa
    Leif,

For all I know, there is a Rittenhouse BIB for the US market. My guess is that Tim refers to that one. I had no idea that it carried an age statement, though.
    Lennart, Tim

The Rittenhouse BIB in USA isnít that the same as the one available in Europe? I have not tried it but if it is 6 Y instead of 4 that would explain a little why it seem as popular on this forum. I have tried the 80 proof no age statement and I am not impressed. Since I didnít found it very drinkable at itís on I tried to combine it in replacement of ďsnapsĒwhith food. The fruity a little oily taste did work out well. Christmas 2004 I had it to the whole Christmas table (smorgasbord) one day and it worked very well. Canít say the same about the 10 Y with killed everything on the table and shouldnít even have been in the same room. And one more thing. Isnít 100 proof the only practical meaning by the bottled in bond statement today? Correct me if I am wrong.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Disciple
    [QUOTE=Joeluka]I've noticed that Straight Ryes are as loved by most of us here and Bourbon. I've been buying a bottle or two of every Rye I can find and pouring a glass of each of them. I'm going to rank them in my favorite order and then ask everybody to do the same.

I had trouble to sort out the last rye so it has to be a top 11 list. I did rank it in 3 groups with no order in the group but first group is my favouritesí and so on.
    ORVW old time rye early gold neck no letter series.
    Old St Nick winter rye 101 proof

Sazerac 2002
    Younger versions of ORVWFRR including 1985 vintage (15Y) and Lottas Home (13-14Y)

Older versions of ORVWFRR including the today 19 Y old
    ORVW old time rye later black neck C series.
    Rittenhouse 10 Y 100 proof
    WT rye
    Old Potrero straight rye 4Y 120.2 proof
    Old Overholt 86 proof distilled at Old Granddad distillery
    Sazerac 2005

And in the other end. My list liked rye: Old Potrero single malt whiskey 2 Y old (not straight)

Leif

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei
    Lennart, Tim

The Rittenhouse BIB in USA isnít that the same as the one available in Europe? I have not tried it but if it is 6 Y instead of 4 that would explain a little why it seem as popular on this forum...
    Leif
    I haven't seen an age statement on the Rittenhouse BIB Rye Whisky, but being a Bond, any given bottle would be a particular age. I can easily believe that the lighter and less complex of my 2 bottlings (the no distillery stated bottle) is 6 years, and the other is definitely darker and more mature if not literally older than 6.

I think, due to the natural comparison, we have transposed the 6 year statement of Saz Jr. onto the Rittenhouse BIB in this forum.

Roger

By the way, Rittenhouse is the only "Whisky" I've noticed in an HH product. Mostly, that Scotch spelling seems to be a Brown Forman thing.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Lennart, Tim

The Rittenhouse BIB in USA isnít that the same as the one available in Europe?

Leif
    Hi Leif,

Not Tim, but from the source

The Rittenhouse 10 year is export only---not sold in the U.S---

Tim "had" (?) that bottling. Any left Tim?

I have attached a picture from my collection so other's could see what it looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Hi Leif,

Not Tim, but from the source

The Rittenhouse 10 year is export only---not sold in the U.S---

Tim "had" (?) that bottling. Any left Tim?

I have attached a picture from my collection so other's could see what it looks like
    Bettye,

I am very familiar with the bottle on the picture. The bottle that puzzles me is the Rittenhouse (BIB) no age on the bottle 100 proof. We got, or at least just to have a bottle like that in Europe. I wonder if the Europe and the USA bottles are the same and if they are 6 years. Here is a picture of the no age 100 proof BIB bottle from whiskystore.de that at least was available in Europe. As for me it locks the same as the 10 Y except no age statement.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbth...1&d=1138997178

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Bettye,

I am very familiar with the bottle on the picture. The bottle that puzzles me is the Rittenhouse (BIB) no age on the bottle 100 proof. We got, or at least just to have a bottle like that in Europe. I wonder if the Europe and the USA bottles are the same and if they are 6 years. Here is a picture of the no age 100 proof BIB bottle from whiskystore.de that at least was available in Europe. As for me it locks the same as the 10 Y except no age statement.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbth...1&d=1138997178
    Lief,

There's three bottlings of the Rittenhouse Rye...

I posted a link of the 10 year ...

The BIB is six years old---although it does not state this---

The 80 proof is 4 years old...

If you have the BIB without age statement...it's six years old ---same as the U.S. bottling.
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion -- but, as Bettye Jo had told me, I knew the domestic BIB is a 6yo.
    Nope, Bettye Jo, none of the 10yo BIB left. Sure did enjoy it though! Thanks.
    The HH/Rittenhouse 21yo mentioned hasn't been bottled commercially -- yet. I sampled it from Parker Beam's hand during the Festival last fall. Wow!
    Tim

Connoisseur
    I would really love to try the US BIB-version but if my memory serves me right, I have never seen it on offer here in Europe.

As one of the few who has sampled both, how do you compare them, Tim? Apparently you rank both very high.

When I first tried the 10yo BIB I thought it was good but not that good. But the more I´ve become acquainted with it the more it has risen in status. Now I regard it not only as one of my favourite ryes but also among the best American whiskies.

Dammit! I always have to look up the word "acquainted" before I write it down. A devilish difficult spelling on that one
    Last edited by Hedmans Brorsa; 02-04-2006 at 03:37.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!