Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dickel 10 yr.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re:Where Has All The Dickel Gone?

If something has been sitting on your shelf for literally years and you can sell it back to the distributor, even for pennies on the dollar, I think you would consider yourself lucky and immediately jump on the chance. Good theory. Does anyone know if it's true? Perhaps they are trying to get Dickel out of the U.S. market, as they did with Harper, to prevent gray market sales to Asia.

--Chuck Cowdery

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dickel 10 yr.

I was on the team that helped pick the bourbon for the Heritage Collection and I agree with you about Harper. The problem was that at a higher proof it became too woody.

Mike Veach

**DONOTDELETE**

I think the most likely scenario is that U.D. simply decided to quit selling the 10 Year Old Dickel. The Dickel 8 and Dickel 12 are still on the shelves here in Louisville.
    Mike Veach

**DONOTDELETE**

The regular Dickel brands appear to be okay in all the places we've checked. I think it's just the Bourbon Heritage Collection that's being phased out. And that's understandable; I mean, we don't expect Ken Weber to be selling Weller Centennial or Max Shapira to offer VSOFitz (at least not as part of the Bourbon Heritage Collection anyway). But Diageo's got to have SOMETHING in mind for all that 10-year-old (and older) Dickel whisky. And since overproduction is (at least the official) reason for shutting the plant down, the remaining stock of regular Dickel is on its way to becoming 10-year-old. I just want to believe that I'll be able to buy this great whisky again; I don't care under what name. Unfortunately, I've seen nothing from Diageo to indicate they have any desire to sell American whisky to Americans. Indeed, their website makes that pretty clear, doesn't it? (Although to be fair, Barton Brands give only barely a little more mention to their bourbons, either). I've written an email to Diageo asking about Dickel and Harper, but have never received an answer.

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

**DONOTDELETE**

John,
    I doubt that you will here anthing back on your email. I believe that Dickel will be sold in a few more years after U.D. (now Diago) ruins the brand to the point that it will take a boat load of money to rebuild it. The most likely scenario is that Dickel will just fade away in the next 10 years. After all, it is not a Scotch whisky so at Diago really cares?
    Mike Veach

**DONOTDELETE**

This then is a capital opportunity for forward thinking future minded Bourbonians. Find and purchase the sugar barrels. Bottle and brand both a single barrel and a vatted super premium. Almost all of the work has been done. All that is needed is operating capital and marketing savy.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. [IMG]/wwwthreads/images/smile.gif[/IMG] Will Travel.

Advanced Taster

Damn! This is too bad. I really enjoy the 10 year old and think their No. 12 and No. 8 beats Jack Daniels Black and Green.

It's unfortunate that Dickel is foreign controlled, otherwise things might be different. Of course, if Americans would quit spending their money on Scotch (thus sending their money overseas), more American controlled distilleries might be around for us to enjoy.

I hate to see another American distillery slip away into the history books. To me this "tarnishes" our Golden Age of Bourbon theory (yeah I know it's a TN whisky, but technically Dickel is a bourbon). I need a drink .... hey is that George calling? Why yes it is.

Bill
    http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/

Advanced Taster

Boy, wouldn't it be fun to have the capital to do just that Linn! I've heard of the "Angels Share" when refering to the loss that occurs during aging, but if I was involved in the bottling we'd have to contend with the "Devil's Share" [IMG]/wwwthreads/images/wink.gif[/IMG].

Bill
    http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/

**DONOTDELETE**

Bill we'd have make a barrel selection survey of the existing stock. This would take quite some time. The Devil would get his due. Then we'd vat and proof and bottle and label and sell. Then we could: a) reinvest our profits and do it again, b) take our money and walk away, or c) file for bankruptcy.

How much capital would we need to come up with? If we had 25 Bourbonians with say 2 grand a piece to throw in would this not be enough?

Think positive. Live Large. It can be done.

Linn Spencer

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello Bill?? George here. Look all those Brits are doing is putting good hard working Americans out of work, and by destroying fine old bourbon brands and shuting down American distilleries they lessen compitition on the world wide whiskey markets. Do these turds bare a grudge or what? I think it's high time we taught those Limeys another lesson. It seems they're oh so forgetful! Did I hear someone say "Loch 'n' Load"?

Linn Spencer