Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Best three way bourbon.

By three way I mean straight, on the rocks, or cocktail.

For me, if I was going to serve bourbon to a group that included cocktail drinkers, on the rocks drinkers, and straight drinkers, I'd go with Woodford Reserve. When I drink bourbon on the rocks (about 25% of my bourbon consumption) this one really holds up well to the ice. It also tasted good mixed with sprite (something I did only as a test.) So, for me, WR is a real star as a multi-purpose bourbon.

Disciple
    I also like Woodford Reserve in mixed drinks. Try some Canada Dry ginger ale as a mixer. It makes a wonderful mixed drink!

Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I agree, the roiling riot of flavours in WR makes it most suitable for mixing and blending. Pretty good on its own, too, although batches vary.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    I also like Woodford Reserve in mixed drinks. Try some Canada Dry ginger ale as a mixer. It makes a wonderful mixed drink!

Thomas

Enthusiast
    Only had one bottle of WR and never tried it in cocktails. My normal "mixer and anything else is good too" choice is OGD BIB. I'm sure better bourbon makes a better mixer, but I just am not anxious to see anything much more expensive get mixed with Coke.
    Bob

Guru
    I'd say Buffalo Trace.... its good anyway you drink it. And at its price / value point, I don't feel bad about using it as a mixer.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru
    I like to use the less expensive, but still respectable, bourbons to mix with diet coke or diet pepsi (I'm diabetic). Evan Williams products fit the bill just fine. Higher end stuff NEVER gets mixed with anything except perhaps a splash of water or a couple of cubes. JMO.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    I'd have to say either Evan Williams 7yo, Woodford Reserve or Makers Mark are the 3 most popular drops I'd consume all 3 ways most regularly.
    (I don't make cocktails often, but I am still partial to a bourbon and coke)

Of course, when I want a blockbuster drink, I always use Bookers (it makes a real mean Bourbon and coke - one with real kick )

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    While I would quite likely use WT 101 in any of these uses, I would just as likely use OC 12yo.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile