Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 2/06: George T Stagg, Fall '05

Because this release was abundant enough to reach just about everyone who wanted a bottle, and because the brand has been a board favorite for several years now, and just because it tastes so damn good, the Bourbon of the Month for February 2006 is:

George T Stagg, Fall 2005

What better way to celebrate the month of love than with a shiny new bottle of GTS! This month's thread focuses on the fall '05 release, but discussion of previous bottlings and how they compare is encouraged (and expected.)

Sound Off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru
    As I noted when this release first came out, I consider this a very good but not a great bourbon. Certainly not up to the standards of some of the earlier Staggs. But make no mistake about it, I enjoy it very much. I prefer to dilute it to the vacinity of 100 proof. At 141, its way to hot to allow the taste buds to appreciate the complexity.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

A first

This is a first for me. Whenever the BOTM is announced I wait a bit to read the opinions and then go out and find it. I have a bottle of the Fall '05 and had hoped to open it after SB XL. I was not a real fan of either team, but that game was lackluster, boring, poorly officiated and not worthy of cracking the seal. Now I have another reason to open it. I have not had the chance to taste any of the other releases.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Well, darn it, Jeff! I only bought a single 3-pack, and it's still sealed. And I don't feel like breaking it open yet since I have a dozen or more bottles of previous editions loose, and I just reached bottom on bottles of the '04 and Spring '05.
    Think I'll sit this one out. Enjoy, y'all
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    And all of mines back in KY. Hmm, haven't seen any 'round here...might have to sit out as well, looks like I'll be reading everyone else's posts
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc
    I have a bottle of the Fall '05 and had hoped to open it after SB XL. I was not a real fan of either team, but that game was lackluster, boring, poorly officiated and not worthy of cracking the seal.
    Boy is that an understatement, I have never seen a worst officiated NFL game, much less a playoff game! The NFL carried out their agenda and got the Steelers that 5th SB and the Bus his first.

But enough about that, I had been waiting anxiously and now have another great excuse to drink what is one of my favorites. I was not fortunate enough to find this bourbon prior to last Spring's release which I thought was great, but I think I like the fall release even better.

A three pack? You can buy this stuff in 3 packs?
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur
    Argh! It took me just over a month to finally get a bottle of ETL! And now I am faced with another BOTM they dont sell in WA

Well...they don't sell it yet that is! I'm working on my Liquor Store to carry both the Stagg and AAA, they carry almost all the other BT products.
    Well my Bourbon drinking brother's and sister's, enjoy another month of Bourbon bliss and I like barturtle will just have to enjoy reading your posts.
    Todd

Connoisseur
    Well I've had this and like it just fine. Right now I have the 129, 131.8, and now 141. Maybe I'll try them side by side this weekend and see which I like best. I will have to do this one in very small samples!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Well, darn it, Jeff! I only bought a single 3-pack, and it's still sealed. And I don't feel like breaking it open yet since I have a dozen or more bottles of previous editions loose, and I just reached bottom on bottles of the '04 and Spring '05.
    Think I'll sit this one out. Enjoy, y'all
    That's a shame, Tim. You always seem to capture my impressions of a Bourbon that my words fail to express....

But, I understand. I try to keep my opens to 8 Bourbons.... But as it happens, fall '05 is one of them

I just love this release. Contrary to some here, I find it expresses itself best straight up. It satisfies with only one 4 oz pour in the Schott Zweisel nosing glass. The aroma seems to go beyond mere scent. It fills the entire nasal cavity with an explosion of sweet, oaky wonder. I enjoy it very slowly, of course, but just letting it roll around in my mouth combines all the wonderful sensations of the proof with the deep complexities of vanilla and tobacco. The finish lingers forever. I find a sip every 10 minutes or so seems to recharge the experience. Those 4 oz last me maybe an hour!

A wonderful choice and a wonderful Bourbon!

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Enthusiast
    Sadly, it is not abundant enough. I have a bottle of spring '05, so maybe I'll try some extrapolation.
    Bob