Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator in exile

BOTM, 2/06: George T Stagg, Fall '05

Because this release was abundant enough to reach just about everyone who wanted a bottle, and because the brand has been a board favorite for several years now, and just because it tastes so damn good, the Bourbon of the Month for February 2006 is:

George T Stagg, Fall 2005

What better way to celebrate the month of love than with a shiny new bottle of GTS! This month's thread focuses on the fall '05 release, but discussion of previous bottlings and how they compare is encouraged (and expected.)

Sound Off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru
    As I noted when this release first came out, I consider this a very good but not a great bourbon. Certainly not up to the standards of some of the earlier Staggs. But make no mistake about it, I enjoy it very much. I prefer to dilute it to the vacinity of 100 proof. At 141, its way to hot to allow the taste buds to appreciate the complexity.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski
    As I noted when this release first came out, I consider this a very good but not a great bourbon. Certainly not up to the standards of some of the earlier Staggs. But make no mistake about it, I enjoy it very much. I prefer to dilute it to the vacinity of 100 proof. At 141, its way to hot to allow the taste buds to appreciate the complexity.
    I read somewhere here, and have spent about 2 hours trying to find it again (enough already!), how everyone ranks the releases of Staggs. Does anyone have that handy by chance? If I recall correctly the 2003 was the consensus favorite... Of course I don't know what I ask since I've only had spring 2005 (outside Kentucky of course) and fall 2005, and will most likely never find the others...

Anyway of the two I have had I do think this (Fall '05) is the better of the two. And strangely enough, I like it with no pollution!
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 02-13-2006 at 01:00.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur
    Binny's in Chicago had a taste test of the full line of Stagg prior to the latest release. I believe Brett said that most picked the 129 proof as the favorite with the initial release being second.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

I think you'll find the most common ranking among contributors here who've tried them all prior to the current one would be:
    • Spring 2005

The current Fall 2005 seems to be heading toward the top half of that list.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    I think you'll find the most common ranking among contributors here who've tried them all prior to the current one would be:
    • Spring 2005
    The current Fall 2005 seems to be heading toward the top half of that list.
    Thanks Tim! I am not very good at remembering where I read something and finding it again later, I need mark things in my favorites more.

I guess I won't worry too much about never tasting the earlier versions since Spring 05 ranked so high and I personally think Fall is even better. Sorry to hear you're not joining in the fun and opening one of those bottles, always enjoy hearing your thoughts...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Okay, lassoed a stray '05/141.2 Stagg, so didn't have to crack the 3-pack. (By the way, I left 8 more on the shelf @ $51.99 -- add 9.25% sales tax. PM me if you're attending the Sampler and can't find one. Sorry, no legal shipping from Tennessee.)
    I'll try to post a note in the 'Tasting' section, but first impressions:
    Lot of wet corn on the nose, not as much of the usual leather and tobacco (different mashbill? Ken? Guess maybe I ought to open that 3-pack and compare info sheets, huh?). Plenty of heat, corn follows onto the palate, with some orange/citrus. Heat dissipates slightly to a medium-long finish.
    Ya wanna know my absolute first thought when it hit my tongue? ETL (on a good night) on steroids.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    Sorry to hear you're not joining in the fun and opening one of those bottles, always enjoy hearing your thoughts...
    Ah one of my little rituals as it pertains to Stagg is to pop the top on my first one once it is in my little hands, it helps me to decide how many more to look for, but then my general rule of not buying any other bourbon or leaving a bottle in the store , if possible, should take care of that.....

Interesting that Tim questions that this may be of another mashbill, he may be on to something............
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Connoisseur
    My wife and I were watching TV on Friday night and I was drinking a small glass of Stagg from Spring 05. She took and sniff and thought it smelt really good, she is not a whiskey drinker but I usually make her take a sniff of what I'm sampling. She couldn't believe how nice the nose was so I told her to take a small sip and she hated it! I knew she would but I found it funny!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo
    My wife and I were watching TV on Friday night and I was drinking a small glass of Stagg from Spring 05. She took and sniff and thought it smelt really good, she is not a whiskey drinker but I usually make her take a sniff of what I'm sampling. She couldn't believe how nice the nose was so I told her to take a small sip and she hated it! I knew she would but I found it funny!
    I do the same thing with my wife. She loves to sniff all my pours, and hates to drink any of them. She loves the smell of a nice heavy ryed bourbon the most ( Buffalo Trace, Old Forester.... ) Any Staggs though smell to strong for her.
    Joe