Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    I prefer the fall 05 to the spring 05. I've had all versions except the first, and of those, this may be my favorite. I like to sip it full proof - but that does constrain the way I drink it. If I think I'm going to have a few glasses I usually go for something else that's lighter.
    Craig

Guru
    I had to mail order mine when it came out to make sure I got some and it was delivered on a cold and blustery day after sitting in a cold UPS truck half the day. I opened the box as soon as the door closed and just couldn't wait to sample. I opened the still chilled bottle and poured the smallest wee bit in a Riedel O Spirits glass and was floored by the lack of burn I experienced at this proof! All the other Staggs start off with a sting to me (which I actually consider quite pleasant) but this one didn't. However, upon revisiting the bottle later after it had warmed up it was Stagg as usual for me. This makes me wonder if a stay in the fridge might take some sting out of the brute? Guess I'll just have to experiment to find out. I normally like my bourbon room temperature but prior experiences with a single small cube of ice were almost breathtaking. I wonder why I don't repeat them? Habit I guess.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    As an owner of the 04 bottling, and being someone who is definately not likely to pick up a current variant (I can't afford the $150+ cost to import one to Australia)....
    Can anyone offer a brief comparison of the two?

Guru
    Dane,
    The Germans keep their Schnapps in the freezer to take the sting out of it. If you drank it at room temperature it would tear your throat out. The colder the booze, the smoother it is.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Apprentice

Wink

The colder, the smoother...........but also a more closed flavor ( which the stagg does have flavor to spare, but will probobly miss out on the subtle flavors). May have to experiment w/ diffrent temps for the ulimate balance in flavor and smoothness ????

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee
    I find a sip every 10 minutes or so seems to recharge the experience. Those 4 oz last me maybe an hour!

Ken
    I just did the math, those are mighty big sips you are taking!
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    I just did the math, those are mighty big sips you are taking!
    Ed

Well, Yeah, they are.... My wife says I have a big mouth!!!!
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski
    As I noted when this release first came out, I consider this a very good but not a great bourbon. Certainly not up to the standards of some of the earlier Staggs. But make no mistake about it, I enjoy it very much. I prefer to dilute it to the vacinity of 100 proof. At 141, its way to hot to allow the taste buds to appreciate the complexity.
    I read somewhere here, and have spent about 2 hours trying to find it again (enough already!), how everyone ranks the releases of Staggs. Does anyone have that handy by chance? If I recall correctly the 2003 was the consensus favorite... Of course I don't know what I ask since I've only had spring 2005 (outside Kentucky of course) and fall 2005, and will most likely never find the others...

Anyway of the two I have had I do think this (Fall '05) is the better of the two. And strangely enough, I like it with no pollution!
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 02-13-2006 at 01:00.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur
    Binny's in Chicago had a taste test of the full line of Stagg prior to the latest release. I believe Brett said that most picked the 129 proof as the favorite with the initial release being second.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

I think you'll find the most common ranking among contributors here who've tried them all prior to the current one would be:
    • Spring 2005

The current Fall 2005 seems to be heading toward the top half of that list.
    Tim