Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Rattlesnake bit

Connoisseur

Rattlesnake bit

On Saturday, my girlfriend took me for an early valentine's celebration to an elegant Manhattan cocktail bar called Pegu. After looking at the menu, she told them I'd like something special made with rye whiskey and not too sweet.

They brought me a "rattlesnake", and it was as good as any cocktail I have ever had. I tried to recreate it last night and came pretty close using the recipe at this link:

http://cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=3631

I substituted Old Fitz BIB for the rye and used 1/4 teaspoon absinthe for the pastis. I made a demerara sugar syrup and used 1/2 teaspoon as a sweetener. Tonight I will up the syrup to 1 tsp.*

I checked out a few cocktail books at B&N and those that include the rattlesnake often suggest blended whiskey.

This cocktail is fantastic and if you are ever in NYC, stop by Pegu and enjoy a vintage cocktail that you are unlikely to ever forget.

-Mike

*Actually had to increase this to about 1 1/2 tsp. demarara syrup in order to balance the sourness of the lemon.
    Last edited by scratchline; 02-13-2006 at 18:10.
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Advanced Taster
    Sounds interesting.

Very off topic but I saw on TLC or Discovery channel a while back that a large percentage of rattlesnake bites are alcohol related. Strange as it may seem it is very rare that the snake registered on the BAC test.
    Tom Sangster
    Winterville, GA

Advanced Taster
    If ya liked the Rattlesnake, you'd really like a Sazarac.

Connoisseur
    I do like sazeracs, and I recently made a good one. But I find it very difficult to balance the anis flavor with the whiskey. This is due in part to the fact that I tend to jump around with my whiskey brand and depending on the flavor of the whiskey, the anis needs to be adjusted accordingly. I just don't have enough experience to make it work consistently.

I also find that as my appreciation for whiskey has grown, I am less willing to lose it in the mix. I really want that flavor in the foreground with everything else balanced behind it.

The other thing I like about the rattlesnake is the egg white. I think the only other drink I ever had with egg white was a ramos gin fizz years ago in New Orleans. I really like the silkiness this gives the drink.

Maybe I'll go back to the sazerac and use the demerara sugar. I think this also lends a little something extra to the mix. Another new ingredient for me to play with.
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchline
    They brought me a "rattlesnake"
    Reminds me of a great W. C. Fields quote, or two, perhaps, because it comes in two versions:

"I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy."

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943