Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pick A Beam

Advanced Taster
    Well, I really enjoy OGD 114 and Baker's. I seem to be seeing a trend here. Chaz

Connoisseur
    well I will have to go with Bookers. It was my first jump from JD to a true bourbon and set me forth on my bourbon quest. I like Bookers and Knob Creek b/c they are not sweet bourbons and more robust when I want something less sweet.

Guru

Thumbs up

Now that I know OGD is included, I will also give my kudos to OGD 114. It is not only my favorite "Beam" bourbon, but one of my top favorites of all bourbons.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    I'll have to go with Black or OGD 114 for the everyday pour and Booker's for something a bit more special. Don't like Basil Hayden's at all.
    Illuminati in training

It'd have to be Knob Creek just for the simple fact that I have drank so much of this and I have always loved it. There was a time years ago when I would work 50+ hour weeks every week and I'd buy a bottle every Friday afternoon (hey, I had to have something to spend the OT money on!) and by bedtime Saturday night (Sunday morning) it was either empty or very close to it! I have only tried Bakers once or twice and will have to get a bottle soon and have yet to try the OGD 114 so I guess that is on the shopping list now too! I do like the Bookers, but for the money I'd buy GTS over it for a much better barrel proof IMO; however in a bar if bookers is the best option that's what I typically order.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bourbonian of the Year 2008
    Pick a Beam? Baker's!!!
    Randy

I picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Black yesterday and had a pour of it last night. Is it just me? I noticed a strong aftertaste of SOAP! It bothered me so much that I went and got a different glass and rinsed it even though it was clean- and the SOAP taste was still there. Perhaps it was what I ate for dinner that influenced my taste? Any one else notice this or is it just me?

Thanks

Connoisseur
    Actually I do not know about soap but I know I didn't like it. It reminded me a little bit like Jack Daniels and I'm not a fan of that at all.

I was going to give it another shot and see but I haven't done so yet, too many other open bourbons that I love right now. I'll give it another shot one day and we'll see.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Advanced Taster
    OGD114 for me, too.

I quite enjoy Beam Black, though, and often bring it to parties and such, even though I then have to endure the inevitable razzing for bringing what people perceive as a "well" bourbon. I wish the bottle had a bit more style.

Guru
    Tim,

I agree with your conclusion and your rationale, and I'm surprised that such a small minority of us agree in this matter.

I had forgotten about this thread, but last night as I emptied a bottle of the 8 yr/86 proof, the only variety I've had, I was struck by how good it tasted. One glass invited another until there wasn't any more. There was little subtlety of the kind that may tax one's ability to describe nuances of flavor, just corn, caramel and char in proper proportion. If anything, I might say it's a little too sweet for some occasions, but never cloyingly so.

Elsewhere in this thread is the mention of a soap taste, which is totally foreign to my experience, which includes a half dozen bottles. When I see such a comment, I always wonder whether the sample in question was tainted or the correspondent's tasting apparatus actually differs from mine.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 02-09-2006 at 11:30.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,