Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Pappy Van Winkle 30yr old.....????

On my usual search for available bourbons, I have come across a place that has listed on their 'drinks' menu Pappy Van Winkle 30yr old
    Anyone know anything about this??? I am trying to find the place again so when I do I will post the link.

Cheers!!

TK.(Troy)

Connoisseur

Thumbs up Trip

Quote Originally Posted by BarItemsPlus1
    Anyone know anything about this??? I am trying to find the place again so when I do I will post the link.
    Cheers!!
    I have not heard of it.....but there have been stranger things turn up in this world.

When/If you do find the place and it is for real, let me know. It won't take me long to pack a bag and get to the airport!
    Last edited by ProofPositive; 02-12-2006 at 13:51.

I have never heard anything about that, their website oldripvanwinkle.com does not list it and for that matter I've never heard of ANY bourbon being aged anywhere near 30 years! I think it is boloney, a misprint perhaps supposed to be 20 year...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Advanced Taster
    I am sceptical about this though......

TK.(Troy)

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    IIRC Julian has said that he has never tasted his whiskey at an age any older than 23yo. I seriously doubt he would put out a product with tasting it first. Most likely a typo.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    IIRC Julian has said that he has never tasted his whiskey at an age any older than 23yo. I seriously doubt he would put out a product with tasting it first. Most likely a typo.
    This brings up a question I was asked the other day when showing off my bottle of PVW23. My friend asked, "well, why not longer?". Can the whisky just not take any more aging? Has it reached its absolute peak, or have they just not tried any longer?

Advanced Taster
    Has it reached its absolute peak, or have they just not tried any longer?
    Brennan absolutly not!! The reason is due to the age of bourbon as a whiskey, meaning bourbon hasn't been able to be kept for this long, ie. supply/demand.
    There may be some casks hiding in a wharehouse somewhere that are older than 23yrs but I really wouldn't know this for sure, I think it would be highly unlikely.

Actually come to think of it....I know that there is a bottle of 'Classic Cask' 35yr old whiskey, don't know if it's bourbon or whiskey though??
    Also I was just wondering, and someone here may be able to cladify, when the age is stated as with 'Scotch' are their indeed older whiskies that go into a bottling of for example PVW 23yr?? -As the age statement on scotch is the youngest whisky in the blend/vatting.

TK.(Troy)

You're referring to, I believe, Bourbon Bar in Washington D.C. It has been called to Julian's attention. He has refuted its existence, and stated he would contact the bar management. Either the bar employed an overzealous (and/or ignorant) copywriter, or they're lying bastards . If it's the latter, I think $150 a drink might constitute fraud.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Also I was just wondering, and someone here may be able to cladify, when the age is stated as with 'Scotch' are their indeed older whiskies that go into a bottling of for example PVW 23yr?? -As the age statement on scotch is the youngest whisky in the blend/vatting.
    As with scotch, the age statement is the youngest whiskey in the bottle. However, Julian has stated that the most recent batch had just barely reached its 23rd birthday, and I suspect that the previous batches would have been quite close that as well.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    You're referring to, I believe, Bourbon Bar in Washington D.C. It has been called to Julian's attention. He has refuted its existence, and stated he would contact the bar management. Either the bar employed an overzealous (and/or ignorant) copywriter, or they're lying bastards . If it's the latter, I think $150 a drink might constitute fraud.
    It's places like this (http://www.bourbondc.com/bourbon-drinks.pdf) that have trained me to always ask "how much is?" for any exotic drink. Sometimes I get nasty looks from the beertender, but I want to know if I am about to be leaned over a barrell. I thought that the $36 I paid for a shot of Pappy 23 was high, but $90 is highway robbery. On the flip side they say they have ORVW 107/15 for $9 a shot, a relative bargain.