Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster
    Cheers...thanks for that!!

Do you have notes on the EW23 yr old??

TK.(Troy)

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    I'm sure there used to be tasting notes on it in the Premium Bourbon forum.... but I can't find them anymore

Apprentice
    Here are some tastingnotes for EW23: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...an+Williams+23
    The last couple of days I have tasted EW23 side by side with Vintage 1976 (25 Yrs old) and EC18. It's easy to detect the kinship between EW23 and EC18, the Vintage 1976 is a completely different story. It has been speculated that this might be Willett-whiskey. I wouldn't be able to tell since I don't have anything to compare with, but I would be really surprised if it originated from HH. As far as taste is concerned my vote goes to EW23. It seems as if the Single Barrel EC18 varies a lot, and my bottle seems to be one that should bave been bottled a couple of years earlier. The nose is really nice but the finnish is extremely tannic and bitter. The EW23 is far superior, very balanced and very potent. A bit like a 40 Year old cognac on steroids...
    As other have stated the Vintage 1976 is amazingly fruity for its age. I like it a lot, but compared to the EW23 it appears a bit bleak.

/Mats

Connoisseur
    I did a less formal review of it here. Oddly enough I also was smoking an RyJ just as SSbourbon1 did in his review.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur
    Yes, the Vintage 1976 is surprisingly potent for its age but to me it is mainly interesting as a specimen.

After a lengthy break I tried it two days ago together with JD single barrel and my most recent Bourbon acquisition, Ridgemont reserve. Even though pleasant, the VB was easily outclassed by its young rivals, both younger than 10 years.

What I have most against older whiskies, excess oakiness apart, is how they lose their whiskey character. Many years ago I read, don´t remember where, that when whisky reached 30 years of age, in most cases it became Cognacified. This theory was empirically verified by letting experts do blindtastings including really old whiskies and Cognacs of similar age. Apparently, these experts were unable to differ between the whiskies and cognacs. I cannot say that I´m surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by PFC
    the finnish is extremely tannic and bitter.
    /Mats
    Well, some might be. Many Finns I have met, though, have been easy, outgoing personalities. Your view is somewhat stereotyped, I think. Could cause a diplomatic crisis with our neighbour in the east, y´know.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Apprentice
    Apparently, these experts were unable to differ between the whiskies and cognacs. I cannot say that I´m surprised.
    Me neither. I am of course very fond of aged cognacs, so there's the connection. Two of my all time favourite spirits are Delamain Vesper and Pierre Ferrand Abel.

Well, some might be. Many Finns I have met, though, have been easy, outgoing personalities. Your view is somewhat stereotyped, I think. Could cause a diplomatic crisis with our neighbour in the east, y´know.
    LOL... well I haven't seen any Finns sneeking around this board so I might get away with it this time. Anyway, I have never heard anyone call Finns tannic before, so it really doesn't fit the definition of a stereotype, does it?

I do however agree with you on JDSB. I have the Silver Select version and it is pure candy.

/Mats

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC
    Anyway, I have never heard anyone call Finns tannic before, so it really doesn't fit the definition of a stereotype, does it?/Mats
    Touché!
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Quote Originally Posted by RedVette
    It's places like this (http://www.bourbondc.com/bourbon-drinks.pdf) that have trained me to always ask "how much is?" for any exotic drink. Sometimes I get nasty looks from the beertender, but I want to know if I am about to be leaned over a barrell. I thought that the $36 I paid for a shot of Pappy 23 was high, but $90 is highway robbery. On the flip side they say they have ORVW 107/15 for $9 a shot, a relative bargain.
    I cannot believe some place is selling something as Pappy 30 yo and charging that price for it!!! Absurd! You know there are some rich business men who probably drink it and then brag to their friends about it drink $150 bourbon...

And Man would I love to have a bottle of that EW 23 yo!! Looks nice.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Novice
    The evaporation loss would be incredible for a bourbon claiming to be 30 years old. The recent George T. Stagg stat sheet showed something like 56% of the original whiskey was lost to evaporation, and that's only 15 years old. I highly doubt a whiskey could last to a point of quality after 30 hot summers. That's not saying there isn't some 30 year old in the 23, it's just saying it probably couldn't stand on it's own.

Connoisseur
    Heaven Hill put out a 28 yo in Japan. I had some and while it wasn't the best I've ever drank it did hold up pretty well. I'm sure there is some 30 yo or more in somebodys rickhouse somewhere.
    Illuminati in training