Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    whoops...your right, I meant that I'd been drinking bourbon for the last year AND STILL GOING.

It would take me at least 2-3 years to drink all the bourbon I've accumulated, so I can't affort to leave it.

Advanced Taster
    I used to drink vodka & tonic when out at clubs and so forth, just to be social. I never quite liked it. Never developed a taste for beer of any sort. Most liqueurs are too sweet for my liking. Once I got around to tasting (good) whisk(e)y, I knew I'd found my drink.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Phases: See if you can guess the year

1. Yago Sangria/Boone's Farm
    2. Harvey Wallbanger/Tequila Sunrise
    3. Seven and Seven
    4. Dr. Jazz (Shot of tequila, shot of vodka, pineapple grapefruit drink. A Middlebury Vt regional favorite). This was also the very short, shots of Tequila phase
    5. Beer, Domestic: Haffenreffer Private Stock, Labatt's Blue, Molson, Genesee Cream, Schlitz
    6. Mean Marine Punch (I was never a marine, but drank this concoction, see SpoliOLi)
    7. Imported, Craft Brewed and Microbrewed Beer
    8. Wine (mostly with a cork, not in a box)
    9. Wine
    10. Polynesian/Tropical: Mai Tai, Coladas, Daiquiri, Moon Rockets (Limeade, ice, beer, blend)......
    11. Whiskey: JD, Beam,Crown Royal: Mixed with just about everything
    Last edited by pepcycle; 02-14-2006 at 12:56.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Taster
    I have always drank beer, and growing up near StL, like Dane it was Busch or Bud. Now it's much less beer but usually a nice crisp imported lager. I also spent considerable time with Jack and water and WT101. For some odd reason I then switched to Jameson, which I rarely touch anymore. Don't touch Jack anymore either, but I have no qualms with WT.
    More whiskey. Less complaining. - Overheard at SXSW music festival.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I remember Genny Cream in Rochester New York where it was and still is made. At Fox's deli off South Winton Drive with a corned beef sandwich, served super-fresh in schooners (stemmed, rounded glass mug) with a collar an inch and a half thick. And Wise's potato chips on the side. Haffenreffer was a malt liquor as I recall, rather potent but good. Ah yes, pre-microbeer days, they weren't so bad...

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-14-2006 at 13:14.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle
    1. Yago Sangria/Boone's Farm
    Before that, do you remember Mateus rose'? (What, no accents in the font selections?)

In the mid-late 60's, that was the cool drink. Then when the flat bottles were empty, you'd stick a candle in them.

Makes me think of parties I went to with my then-girlfriend (and now wife of 37+ years) with the only light coming from those candles.

I think I'll go put on my tie-dye shirt now.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Guru

I have a lot of ex-drinks. Mixed drinks were a popular item when I was a young man.

I shudder to remember the Singapore Sling. What the hell is sloe gin?

There were also many Tom Collins, Rusty Nails, Planter's Punches, whiskey sours, margaritas, daquiris, rum screwdrivers (I think I have always hated vodka), Irish Coffees, and pina coladas. I could probably go on and on.

Of all those, my favorite was probably a particular Tom Collins made at a bar on Peachtree St. in Atlanta, circa 1970. I can still sensorily remember its simple perfection.

A recent favorite (that is to say, in the last five or ten years) is the super simple Hemingway Daquiri. A large glass of crushed ice, a large shot of good rum, and a half fresh lime squeezed in. No sugar. Supposedly Hemingway's favorite drink.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    While I still drink many things, I guess the drinks I no longer consume would be whiskey sours, bourbon and coke, and white russians.
    Oh, shit, you just reminded me of grasshoppers and Harvey Wallbangers! How did I ever survive?

Tim

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffRenner
    Before that, do you remember Mateus rose'? (What, no accents in the font selections?)

In the mid-late 60's, that was the cool drink. Then when the flat bottles were empty, you'd stick a candle in them.

Jeff
    Yes, I remember. You say true.

What was that stuff we used to roll up and smoke with it?

Tim

Connoisseur

Thumbs down Gone With The Wind

In no particular order, I have cast all of the following by the wayside over the course of the past 10-20 years:

1. Tom Collins
    2. Rum & Coke
    3. JD & Coke, 7-Up
    4. Bourbon & Coke, 7-Up, and any other soft drink - can't stand the sweet
    taste....drowns out the good stuff on my palate.
    5. Hurricanes
    6. Seven 'N' Seven
    7. Most Wine
    8. Miller Lite