Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    What the hell is sloe gin?
    Sloe gin is a liqueur made from sloes (I believe the fruit of the blackthorn), gin and sugar. Tastes a lot like cough syrup and is really sweet. Mixed with 7 up some call it a Sloe Gin Fizz. I have heard others order a Sloe Comfortable Screw Up Against the Wall but never had one myself.... I believe it's a mix of Sloe Gin (sloe), Southern Comfort (comfortable), Orange juice (screw as in screwdriver), Galliano (Wall as in Harvey Wallbanger) and Vodka (part of both screwdrivers and wallbangers).
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    I had totally forgotten about sloe gin. My wife does not like high alcohol drinks (Bailey's (or rum cream if available) on the rocks is her basic drink) and she drinks those VERY slowly so she never gets drunk. The closest she ever got to being drunk was one night in college (during the course of an all night 2 board Risk game) she was drinking Red Peppers (Sloe Gin and Dr Pepper). Since she didn't taste the alcohol it almost caught up with her <G>.

A couple of weeks ago a friend said he had a bottle of Yukon Jack and wondered what kind of drinks he could make with it. I "googled" recipes and found an excellent page with a lot of strange (and obscene) sounding drinks. One of them was a Dr. Jack (Yukon and Dr. Pepper) so I had to get Barb to try it. Of course since it was whiskey based she didn't like it (I was surprised, that I actually found it drinkable - but not enough to drink again).

Tom

Connoisseur
    From what I've read lurking at other boards, real sloe gin is actually pretty good and impossible to get in this country. Much like commonly available grenadine, US sloe gin is just sugar water with coloring. The british company that makes Plymouth Gin also makes a sloe gin that folks say is excellent, but you can't get it here. Afficionados recommend making your own.
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012
    You guys are killing me here with memories that simply make me GAG! Mine used to be:
    Tom Collins
    Slow Gin Fizz - there was a bar in Madison WI that made these....I think they had 7up and orange juice but I don't remember any "wall banging" going on unless you count when I had to many and was bouncing off the walls?!?
    Segrams 7 & 7
    and I can't remember what I drank the Southern Comfort with....but just the thought of it makes me nauseated!

I still like Rum and Diet Coke! Lately I've been enjoying martini's.....just the fruity ones with vodka. I'll have Jon mix up some Pomegranate Martini's for your wives at the Sampler. Mmmm!

Dawn

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    Drinks I've pretty much left behind include.....

Tequila with the old lime and salt thing. Before tequila became cool, relatively inexpensive tequila was pretty good....ie 100% blue agave. Now the cheap stuff is blue agave and who knows what. Anyway, we had a couple of neat swimming holes on the Guadalupe River north of San Antonio. Once of age (or close enough), we never made a trip to the river without a bottle of Sauza, limes and salt. We don't need no stinkin glasses....right from the bottle and it sure warmed you up after swimming in what could be a cold river. Haven't done this in forever. I still enjoy a good tequila straight up, but no lime and salt please.

A Harvey Wallbanger was THE drink to order at the Disco. I even purchased my own bottle of Galleano (sp?). Never again. A whiskey sour was also ordered from time to time.

Early drinks I still enjoy on occasion include gin and tonic and a rum and coke with lime. Nothing beats a good, icy, rum and coke with a twist of lime when its 95 degrees laying at the pool.

Randy

Guru
    I had a girlfriend in college who drank Scotch and diet Dr. Pepper. (Actually tastes WORSE than it sounds!) Boy did I hate having to order those for her. Fortunately, she had "charms" that made it worthwhile.....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur
    We are at the height of the girl scout cookie season, and my wife is a local scout leader so I'm immersed in caramel delites, pnut butter patties and cartwheels right now. A couple years ago I was hunting through my cocktail recipie book when I came upon a "dirty girl scout". It has kahlua, creme de menthe and vodka in it and we had all those on hand, so I made one to serve to my wife. It tastes like a thin mint.
    Craig

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    What was that stuff we used to roll up and smoke with it?

Tim
    At the time, I was a Borkum Riff man....... Still have those old pipes around here somewhere.

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee
    At the time, I was a Borkum Riff man....... Still have those old pipes around here somewhere.

Ken
    Hmmm, could have been.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru
    I doubt grapevines is the answer you're looking for either, huh Tim?
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.