Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

The most character

I am curious, of the bourbons you have tasted, which ones have the most character in the taste? Which have the strongest and most tastes?

Thanks,

Paul

Guru
    Off the top of my head, I'd say that the one I think had the most character was Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, 2002 release. It had a complex flavor and lots of flavor and lots of flavors. But, best of all, those factors came together to give an almost perfect bourbon experience.

Of course, there are many, many top bourbons that I've never had the opportunity to try.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    My three favorites so far are Bookers, OGD 114 and WT RB. I love the color, the warm taste and the flavor of these three. I take real small pours and it takes me quite a while to get through them. I really appreciate the craftsmanship that went into those bottles.
    Todd

There are some nights, and why it is some nights and not others I cannot yet explain (I just guess my palate has certain moods?) that Peter Jake's Private Keep amazes me. On those nights it has three distinctive levels (entry?, mid-palate?, finish?) first a fruity (?raisin/peach? & apple?) flavor, then a caramel vanilla (apple pie ala mode?) taste, with a woody earthy finish. I am not good at all at picking out distinctive flavors so those are my best interpretations and I just can't explain why some nights this bottle is out of sight and other nights it is just another bourbon.

Other than that I'd say for the most character ORVW 15 and VWFRR 13 always exhibit a lot of different flavors. Oh yeah and you cannot go wrong with George T Stagg...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru
    I think Peter Jakes Private Keep is one fine bourbon. It makes my top 10 list.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur
    Booker's, Tribute, GTS, Kentucky Spirit. All have wonderfully intense flavors.

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Connoisseur
    The difference to me between a very good and a great Bourbon is that it also has to stand out from the crowd.

In my view, some of those that pass this test are Bakerīs, Old Rip 15yo, WT Kentucky Legend (seems to have completely vanished now), Rock Hill Farms and Evan Williams SB.

Not only do they taste great but thereīs no way that you can mistake them for anything else.

Iīm not sure if this completely answers your question. EWSB, for instance, hardly qualify for "strongest" taste.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Enthusiast
    For me, Bookers by a contry mile. Have not tried many Turkeys or Stagg yet...

Connoisseur
    For me, it would be the Hirsch 16 blue wax bottling. I found it a very complex bourbon, almost confounding. I've returned to it a couple of times to get clearer impressions and it just keeps revealing more. I have yet to try the overproof stuff like Stagg, WLW, etc.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Apprentice
    Booker's for me too.
    Mad Mac
    "If you want to sing out, sing out!"