Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru
    I did not speak to him directly. In the message I left I did not request a replacement. Perhaps I'll regret that when I get around to tasting it; however, the quantity of liquid lost is certainly not an issue.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple
    I bought a bottle of EC 18 about 3 years ago and had the same problem. on the ride home from the liquor store, about 30 minutes, the bottle tilted to one side in the bag and started to leak. I also had that happen to a bottle of WT RR101 about 6 month's ago. Just this past Wednesday, I received a 5 bottle shipment from Binny's, 4 out of the 5 bottles were cork tops and while non leaked during the 2 day journey to my house, all were on there side in the box. Mine weren't even wrapped with bubble wrap but rather sandwiched between those bottle dividers. My last order from Binny's wasn't like this. This order was placed online while Wednesday's order was placed over the phone and shipped from a specific store. I guess this was because one of the bottles was a WLW and they had to ship from the store it was at. Last summer, I placed an order for 12 bottles of Stagg with Mission liquor in Pasadena, CA and it arrived upright in styrafoam bottle dividers. I figure if you order from Binny's online website, your order will probably have a better chance of being shipped upright as these orders seem to ship out of a more central location. I have been very pleased with my 2 purchases from Binny's and have also dealt with Brett on the phone and have nothing but good to say about their organization!

Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasH; 02-24-2006 at 13:11.

Guru

The Continuing Sage of the EC18 Closure

This just keeps getting stranger.

Although I hadn't planned to open this bottle any time soon, I decided I'd better take a small taste, just in case the loose cork might have allowed some off flavors to creep in. I gently grasped the top and slowly twisted and pulled. The wooden top separated from the cork without dislodging it even slightly. Thankfully, the cork protruded far enough to allow me to get a secure grip on it. I slowly removed it with no further mishap.

Inspection revealed that the glue was still intact on the cork but had not adhered to the inside of the wooden part. My first thought was that the alcohol might have softened the glue. However, I detected no trace of stickiness on the glue on the cork.

At first the characteristic Heaven Hill eucalyptus was prominent in the nose, but it subsided. Over time heavy char and caramel did a do-si-do. Eventually some softer, floral notes emerged. They were most noticeable when nosing several inches from the Glencairn blender's glass.

The palate is dominated by char, with just a touch of hazelnut. The finish starts sweet but quickly turns ash-dry, almost acrid.

This bottle seems more like my memory of my very first bottle, which I didn't care for, and less like more recent tastings. I just wish I trusted my tasting ability sufficiently to believe what I think I taste. However, I know from experience that my impression may be different the next time I taste it.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

They're Still At It

As part of Binny's celebration of the opening/acquisition of their 17th store, their 10%-off sale of their exclusive single-barrel bottlings is continuing.

Here is a segment of the announcement that arrived in my mail box today.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 03-24-2006 at 10:26.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield