Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Elijah Craig 12yr...I tried, I really tried

I have never been a fan of Elijah Craig 12 yr 94 proof. I have had a bottle sitting in my bar for a few years. Some of you may even remember a couple of years ago I did a post on how I brought a bottle back to the liquor store because it had such a strange taste I thought something was wrong with it.

Well, it was a cold winter night in upstate NY. The wife and I were home for the night and I was in the mood to try something different. I reached way in the back of my bourbon shelf and grabbed the EC 12 yr. I told the wifey that I just had to give it another try, she knows it's one of the few that I don't like.

I poured about 2 oz, took a nice sip and said, " aghhhh thats just strange" The only other description that came out of my mouth was "weird".

I don't know what it is with this stuff, I almost WANT to enjoy it but I always get this OVERPOWERING odd taste. The worst is if I inhale while I am sipping, then it's just awful...I tried, I really tried.

So then I poured some Ridgemont Reserve 1792 and life was good...very good.

Guru
    Brian,
    There are others on this forum that would agree with you. I have had bottles of EC-12 that had a metallic taste and were awful. I also have had bottles which were quite good. I think there is a lot of variation in this bourbon.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe
    Brian,
    There are others on this forum that would agree with you. I have had bottles of EC-12 that had a metallic taste and were awful. I also have had bottles which were quite good. I think there is a lot of variation in this bourbon.
    Joe
    I don't even know if Metallic was the flavor that I got. You say you have had bottles that were good but this is probably the 4th bottle I have tried. None were good.

Advanced Taster
    I think the odd flavor you are getting at is the not so subtle hint of terpentine. Seriously, I'm with you on this. I really tried to enjoy EC, both the 12 and 18. I just can't do it. Heck, I even tried it again yesterday at work (I work in a wine and spirits store, so we have lots of open bottles for tasting).

My boss thinks I just don't like rye, and says this is why I don't like Bulleit or EC. I disagreed, so I started with a taste of Sazerac Rye. I liked it pretty well. An enjoyable pour. Then I moved on to the EC and sure enough, there's that funky flavor again. What the heck is that?

I'm relatively new to bourbon, so I know my tastes will develop. I'm just not sure I'll ever develop a taste for EC.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan77
    I think the odd flavor you are getting at is the not so subtle hint of terpentine. Seriously, I'm with you on this. I really tried to enjoy EC, both the 12 and 18. I just can't do it. Heck, I even tried it again yesterday at work (I work in a wine and spirits store, so we have lots of open bottles for tasting).

My boss thinks I just don't like rye, and says this is why I don't like Bulleit or EC. I disagreed, so I started with a taste of Sazerac Rye. I liked it pretty well. An enjoyable pour. Then I moved on to the EC and sure enough, there's that funky flavor again. What the heck is that?

I'm relatively new to bourbon, so I know my tastes will develop. I'm just not sure I'll ever develop a taste for EC.
    I wouldn't compare this stuff to Bulleit myself. Bulleit isn't the best, but it is at the least, enjoyable.

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by brian12069
    I wouldn't compare this stuff to Bulleit myself. Bulleit isn't the best, but it is at the least, enjoyable.
    \

I'm not comparing them, really. I'm just saying that those are two I do not enjoy. Bulleit, to me, falls flat in taste and has a red pepper burn that makes it unenjoyable. Perhaps I'll revisit it this evening. My manager's theory was that the underlying theme of bourbons that I do not like is rye. I disagreed with him, saying that there's more to my not liking EC than rye.

Connoisseur
    Ya...I don't think it's the rye...unless it was dipped in weed killer or something...

My tie-breaker bottle is currently on the shelf, though I don't know when I'll open it. I just finished one bottled in 1997 that was very good. I almost never bought it, however, because my original, newer example was so bad I donated all but the first couple of tastes (which rang of the metal finish Joe alludes to) to a Gazebo function. (As I recall, it mostly just sat there, too, but that might just be because of all the other 'lovelies' on the table.)
    Anyway, if this next bottle (2001) is a good one, I'll buy it again. If not, it's sayonara EC12, for me.
    Tim

Guru

12 has been ok, the 18 however

Had that same taste from the 18 year old but my 2 bottles of the EC 12 have been fine by me.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur
    I had gone through 3 bottles of EC 12 and enjoyed them all, with a 4th waiting to be opened. I also have a EC 18 waiting to be opened. Taste buds are a fickle thing?
    Todd