Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    509

    Elijah Craig 12yr...I tried, I really tried

    I have never been a fan of Elijah Craig 12 yr 94 proof. I have had a bottle sitting in my bar for a few years. Some of you may even remember a couple of years ago I did a post on how I brought a bottle back to the liquor store because it had such a strange taste I thought something was wrong with it.

    Well, it was a cold winter night in upstate NY. The wife and I were home for the night and I was in the mood to try something different. I reached way in the back of my bourbon shelf and grabbed the EC 12 yr. I told the wifey that I just had to give it another try, she knows it's one of the few that I don't like.

    I poured about 2 oz, took a nice sip and said, " aghhhh thats just strange" The only other description that came out of my mouth was "weird".

    I don't know what it is with this stuff, I almost WANT to enjoy it but I always get this OVERPOWERING odd taste. The worst is if I inhale while I am sipping, then it's just awful...I tried, I really tried.

    So then I poured some Ridgemont Reserve 1792 and life was good...very good.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,827
    Brian,
    There are others on this forum that would agree with you. I have had bottles of EC-12 that had a metallic taste and were awful. I also have had bottles which were quite good. I think there is a lot of variation in this bourbon.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

    "Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe
    Brian,
    There are others on this forum that would agree with you. I have had bottles of EC-12 that had a metallic taste and were awful. I also have had bottles which were quite good. I think there is a lot of variation in this bourbon.
    Joe
    I don't even know if Metallic was the flavor that I got. You say you have had bottles that were good but this is probably the 4th bottle I have tried. None were good.

  4. #4
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    115
    I think the odd flavor you are getting at is the not so subtle hint of terpentine. Seriously, I'm with you on this. I really tried to enjoy EC, both the 12 and 18. I just can't do it. Heck, I even tried it again yesterday at work (I work in a wine and spirits store, so we have lots of open bottles for tasting).

    My boss thinks I just don't like rye, and says this is why I don't like Bulleit or EC. I disagreed, so I started with a taste of Sazerac Rye. I liked it pretty well. An enjoyable pour. Then I moved on to the EC and sure enough, there's that funky flavor again. What the heck is that?

    I'm relatively new to bourbon, so I know my tastes will develop. I'm just not sure I'll ever develop a taste for EC.

  5. #5
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan77
    I think the odd flavor you are getting at is the not so subtle hint of terpentine. Seriously, I'm with you on this. I really tried to enjoy EC, both the 12 and 18. I just can't do it. Heck, I even tried it again yesterday at work (I work in a wine and spirits store, so we have lots of open bottles for tasting).

    My boss thinks I just don't like rye, and says this is why I don't like Bulleit or EC. I disagreed, so I started with a taste of Sazerac Rye. I liked it pretty well. An enjoyable pour. Then I moved on to the EC and sure enough, there's that funky flavor again. What the heck is that?

    I'm relatively new to bourbon, so I know my tastes will develop. I'm just not sure I'll ever develop a taste for EC.
    I wouldn't compare this stuff to Bulleit myself. Bulleit isn't the best, but it is at the least, enjoyable.

  6. #6
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by brian12069
    I wouldn't compare this stuff to Bulleit myself. Bulleit isn't the best, but it is at the least, enjoyable.
    \

    I'm not comparing them, really. I'm just saying that those are two I do not enjoy. Bulleit, to me, falls flat in taste and has a red pepper burn that makes it unenjoyable. Perhaps I'll revisit it this evening. My manager's theory was that the underlying theme of bourbons that I do not like is rye. I disagreed with him, saying that there's more to my not liking EC than rye.

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    509
    Ya...I don't think it's the rye...unless it was dipped in weed killer or something...

  8. #8
    My tie-breaker bottle is currently on the shelf, though I don't know when I'll open it. I just finished one bottled in 1997 that was very good. I almost never bought it, however, because my original, newer example was so bad I donated all but the first couple of tastes (which rang of the metal finish Joe alludes to) to a Gazebo function. (As I recall, it mostly just sat there, too, but that might just be because of all the other 'lovelies' on the table.)
    Anyway, if this next bottle (2001) is a good one, I'll buy it again. If not, it's sayonara EC12, for me.
    Tim

  9. #9
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    2,099

    12 has been ok, the 18 however

    Had that same taste from the 18 year old but my 2 bottles of the EC 12 have been fine by me.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

    Bob Marley.

  10. #10
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA.
    Posts
    887
    I had gone through 3 bottles of EC 12 and enjoyed them all, with a 4th waiting to be opened. I also have a EC 18 waiting to be opened. Taste buds are a fickle thing?
    Todd

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Elijah Craig
    By Winslow in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-17-2002, 10:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top