Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Open bottles

  1. #1
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    262

    Open bottles

    Is there any problem when I have a few open bottles at a time and keep them for a long time? I'm a slow-drinker
    Of course, I keep the "caps" closed...

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt
    Is there any problem when I have a few open bottles at a time and keep them for a long time? I'm a slow-drinker
    Of course, I keep the "caps" closed...
    Yes, there is a problem. You need to DRINK THEM!!!

  3. #3
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Virginia
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt
    Is there any problem when I have a few open bottles at a time and keep them for a long time? I'm a slow-drinker
    Of course, I keep the "caps" closed...
    What's a long time - months, years, or decades?

    Where do you store them?

  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,082

    I agree..

    Drink them all.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

    Bob Marley.

  5. #5
    Seriously, it will take a very long time for your open bottles to oxidize. In fact, some bottlings seem to benefit from a breath of fresh air, and become more flavorful as they recede toward the bottle's bottom.
    If it's not cloudy, it's still good to drink.
    Tim

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West of the Rockies
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Seriously, it will take a very long time for your open bottles to oxidize. In fact, some bottlings seem to benefit from a breath of fresh air, and become more flavorful as they recede toward the bottle's bottom.
    If it's not cloudy, it's still good to drink.
    Good point Tim!

    I know the last bottle of Kentucky Spirit I had seemed much better when I got to the botom of it....... 4 days later!
    C

    "everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,781
    I just finished off a bottle of 100 month old Beam I purchased in 1976. It was very good whiskey. About 4 ounces remained in that bottle for over 15 years. No problem.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

    "Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    867
    For me it is normally the nose who suffers but, at least in my case, there is no protection against this since these deteroriations sometimes can be noticed already after a month a two.

    Itīs frustrating, all the same, since you clearly remember that delighful scent now almost gone.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe
    I just finished off a bottle of 100 month old Beam I purchased in 1976. It was very good whiskey. About 4 ounces remained in that bottle for over 15 years. No problem.
    Joe

    Ok, I'm completely relaxed now I'm talking about just a few months at max.
    That's good. By the way, I feel no difference of nose or smell within a few weeks. Maybe sth. wrong bwith my nose?! Anyway, that's good for me

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Help! What would you open first?
    By Dave_in_Canada in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-06-2007, 20:37
  2. If you got it, would you open it?
    By Nebraska in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 18:36
  3. Open Bottles
    By Brennan77 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 19:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top