Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,085

    Manhattan's Anyone?

    Made batches of Manhattan's for a cocktail party over the weekend. Among the bottles used were Beam Black, Maker's Mark, WT 101 and OGD 86. ( It was a well attended party ). By far the best drink was the Maker's rendition. All were mixed the same way at the same ratios of whiskey, sweet vermouth and spring water. The water helps when batching. Looking for other versions and bottles that are used for this drink.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

    Bob Marley.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Burlington VT, USA
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc
    Made batches of Manhattan's for a cocktail party over the weekend. Among the bottles used were Beam Black, Maker's Mark, WT 101 and OGD 86. ( It was a well attended party ). By far the best drink was the Maker's rendition. All were mixed the same way at the same ratios of whiskey, sweet vermouth and spring water. The water helps when batching. Looking for other versions and bottles that are used for this drink.
    I don't see any bitters listed in your recipe!! Ah well, it seems fewer people enjoy bitters nowadays anyway.

    I'm not surprised that Maker's created the most popular Manhattan, as it is (at least IMHO) an approachable, rather bland and inoffensive bourbon.

    Traditionally, a good Manhattan is made with a rye-heavy bourbon like OGD, or a straight rye whiskey like Old Overholt or Rittenhouse BIB.

    If you are interested in the Manhattan, you owe it to yourself to try one made w/ bitters and a straight rye whiskey.

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mentor, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc
    By far the best drink was the Maker's rendition.... Looking for other versions and bottles that are used for this drink.
    Bill Samuel's was quoted saying he prefers his bitters free. Here is his recipe:

    The “Maker’s Mark Manhattan”
    Ingredients:
    1.5 oz Maker’s Mark
    .5 oz Sweet Vermouth, we recommend you try Carpano
    1 teaspoon of maraschino cherry juice
    Maraschino cherry
    Fill Maker’s Mark cocktail shaker * full with ice; add 1.5 oz Maker’s Mark, .5 oz Sweet vermouth, and maraschino cherry juice. Shake for 30 seconds (as above). Strain into chilled Manhattan glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
    Not a big cocktail fan, myself but I may try this one day.
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

  5. #5
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mentor, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by wrbriggs
    I'm not surprised that Maker's created the most popular Manhattan, as it is (at least IMHO) an approachable, rather bland and inoffensive bourbon.
    There was a time a while back when I would have agreed with you. I really enjoy strong Rye flavor (WT Rye is just wonderful). But today, I have to disagree with the "bland" part. It is definitly more subtle than a huge Rye flavored Bourbon but delicious in its own right. I've recently been re-appreciating the joys of Maker's and have been opening up a whole new world I'd been dismissing. Maker's has a wonderful nose and, given time to develope in the glass, rewards the palate with a smooth but enjoyable taste that differs from the rye crowd. We are fortunate to have such variety.

    Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

  6. #6
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Burlington VT, USA
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee
    Bill Samuel's was quoted saying he prefers his bitters free. Here is his recipe
    Well, I don't honestly think a Manhattan made w/ Maker's could stand up to having the bitters added - Maker's is so mild that it wouldn't work w/ bitters; so it makes sense Bill prefers them without, since he would hardly recommend a recipe that would taste poorly when made with his whiskey.

  7. #7
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Burlington VT, USA
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee
    There was a time a while back when I would have agreed with you. I really enjoy strong Rye flavor (WT Rye is just wonderful). But today, I have to disagree with the "bland" part. It is definitly more subtle than a huge Rye flavored Bourbon but delicious in its own right. I've recently been re-appreciating the joys of Maker's and have been opening up a whole new world I'd been dismissing. Maker's has a wonderful nose and, given time to develope in the glass, rewards the palate with a smooth but enjoyable taste that differs from the rye crowd. We are fortunate to have such variety.

    Ken
    Perhaps I misspoke; I did mean "bland" in the pejorative fashion... I meant bland as defined by:
    Characterized by a moderate, unperturbed, or tranquil quality
    I think we can all agree that whether or not we like Maker's, it is not a flavor powerhouse - it is a moderately flavored bourbon; if you enjoy this type of flavor, more power to you.

  8. #8
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,544
    For what it's worth, my favorite manhattan uses Rittenhouse Rye BIB, sweet vermouth and a few healthy splashes of bitters, on the rocks, no garnish, but that's just me. Whatever floats your boat.

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    509
    I have always made my Manhattans with bourbon that is not my favorite neat. Ever buy a bottle of bourbon because it's inexpensive or on sale and you just wanted to try it? Then you find it was not so great. This is a good way for me to use up those bourbons and still enjoy them, they always make a nice Manhattan...and yes...add the bitters!

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,781
    I prefer my Manhattans made with Canadian Whiskey rather than Bourbon. Bourbon in a Manhattan is just a tad too sweet for me. I can drink 'em but I prefer Canadian Whiskey. Just me I guess.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

    "Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Manhattan's
    By TimmyBoston in forum Cocktails
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-21-2009, 17:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top