Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by gluce
    okay, this is what I will do I want 6 bottles. So I will send 3 to Dave, 2 to joe luka and 1 to joe bourbon. It will not be till the end of March. They have 2 bottles they are holding for me but I asked them about a case and this is where I am. When I get up there on Tuesday I will order the case and I will have the cost for the WT. I will go to a shipping place and have them package and send it, I will send you guys a copy of the bill and you can mail me a personal check for the WT and the shipping.

    if that sounds good let me know.
    Sounds good to me George. Just send me the invoice and you will be paid immediately. Thanks for the opportunity.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

    "Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

  2. #12
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Central Arizona (near Prescott), U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,235
    George,

    A quantity of three bottles is perfect for me right now (given that I just received an order from Binny's a week ago).

    I will call the store directly, but I will be surprised if they ship to Arizona. Apparently the locals put up some vexing hurdles the seller must address. (Sam's, for one, will not ship to me here.) If it's possible to save you the hassle of packing and shipping, I will do so. Besides, that would save me a few bucks on KS sales tax. I will let you know.

    Thanks for finding this bird in the bush and sharing the information.

    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

    Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

  3. #13
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    George,

    If I could have only one more drink before I die, I would unhesitatingly choose WT 12 y/o over GTS, ORVW 18 y/o (still haven't tried the Pappy 20), Hirsch 16 y/o or 20 y/o, and WT Kentucky Spirit. You are fortunate indeed to find such a cache in Omaha; I predict you will never see such again.

    Dave Morefield
    Dave,

    The WT 12 is certainly not one of my favourite Turkeys. Too much on the dry and woody side for me. But as we say in Sweden: taste is like the ass, divided. It’s easy to get here due.

    Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

  4. #14
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Central Arizona (near Prescott), U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,235
    Leif,

    Very interesting! Not just because we disagree on a single bottling, but because of the nature of that disagreement.

    My tasting apparatus finds none of the WT line woody, per se. Yes, I find influence from the barrel, but it's mostly the sweet and rich kind that supposedly comes from the red layer, very little of the astringency that I associate with the outer char or the uncharred wood underneath the red layer.

    Of all the WT bottlings I've tried I would rank WT 12 second on the sweetness scale, well behind Rare Breed.

    All of this ignores variations from bottle to bottle, which others here have reported. I have had only three bottles, IIRC, and have yet to notice significant variation.

    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 03-04-2006 at 11:03.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

    Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

  5. #15
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Central Arizona (near Prescott), U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,235
    George,

    I called this morning and learned that the State of Nebraska forbids interstate shipments of liquor.

    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

    Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

  6. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West of the Rockies
    Posts
    2,572
    George, I am sure you already have enough people to help you with that case, but if not let me know, I sent you a private message but never heard back. I'd gladly get you money asap for a couple bottles if you need to move more, if not it is all good!

    Thanks,
    C

    "everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

  7. #17
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    G'Town, TN
    Posts
    515

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    George, I am sure you already have enough people to help you with that case, but if not let me know, I sent you a private message but never heard back. I'd gladly get you money asap for a couple bottles if you need to move more, if not it is all good! Thanks,
    I'll second that. If there is enough available out there in your territory, it may be well worth the drive.

  8. #18
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei
    The WT 12 is certainly not one of my favourite Turkeys. Too much on the dry and woody side for me. Leif
    You seem to be into odd bottlings, Leif. In that case you might well try to hunt out the French version of WT 12yo, called La Fayette.

    This was my first taste of the 12yo and I still have fond memories of it (bought in 2001, if I remember correctly.) Incredibly heavy -you could almost chew it. The dominating flavours were maple syrup and blood oranges as opposed to the cherry of my current one.

    Alas, I think it has been discontinued. Haven´t seen a bottle for many years. (The bottle in the picture is empty.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

  9. #19
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    Leif,

    Very interesting! Not just because we disagree on a single bottling, but because of the nature of that disagreement.

    My tasting apparatus finds none of the WT line woody, per se. Yes, I find influence from the barrel, but it's mostly the sweet and rich kind that supposedly comes from the red layer, very little of the astringency that I associate with the outer char or the uncharred wood underneath the red layer.

    Of all the WT bottlings I've tried I would rank WT 12 second on the sweetness scale, well behind Rare Breed.

    All of this ignores variations from bottle to bottle, which others here have reported. I have had only three bottles, IIRC, and have yet to notice significant variation.

    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Dave,

    I have read on the forum that there are many different versions of WT 12. The version I refer to is at least in my opinion very woody in the meaning that it have a lot of bitter wood notes from the tannins of the “real” Wood. I have also hard to detect the “normal” amounts of WT sweetness from the red layer. There is only one other WT that is as woody as this that I have tried (have not tried Tribute jet). It is Tradition but that one has quite a lot of sweetness to balance it up. I have not fought of it before but I think I would consider 101 as the sweetest WT I have tried (have not tried RR believe it or not). KS both the Legends and sherry signature are also quit sweet. RB I would call medium sweet. On the dry side beside the 12 years old I would consider that the 8 years old European version is very dry as well. All this is just as I experience it of cause and I am sure it varies a lot from person to person.
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

  10. #20
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa
    You seem to be into odd bottlings, Leif. In that case you might well try to hunt out the French version of WT 12yo, called La Fayette.

    This was my first taste of the 12yo and I still have fond memories of it (bought in 2001, if I remember correctly.) Incredibly heavy -you could almost chew it. The dominating flavours were maple syrup and blood oranges as opposed to the cherry of my current one.

    Alas, I think it has been discontinued. Haven´t seen a bottle for many years. (The bottle in the picture is empty.)
    Lennart,

    I have seen La Fayette a couple of times on the lists of online stores. I am not sure but I think it was 10 years old and real expensive. I have heard that it is partly matured in Paris. Do you know anything about that?

    Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Wild Turkey
    By bourbonmed in forum History
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2002, 13:26
  2. Wild Turkey 17 YO?
    By tdelling in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-10-2002, 14:34
  3. Wild Turkey 12ry vs. Wild Turkey 12 yr Linited Edition
    By Creggor in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2001, 14:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top