Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Guru
    I knew that was too good to be true.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Quote Originally Posted by gluce
    ...Anyway they had 5 more bottles plus the 2 the store had. So I of course am scooping them up...
    On the other hand, seven ain't a bad haul!
    Tim

Connoisseur

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    On the other hand, seven ain't a bad haul!
    Nope! Not bad at all! Like most folks, it took some driving and looking for me to get the 5 I got right now......7 all in one place?!?!.....There is a heaven!!!

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC
    Hi Leif, actually I have to second your impressions. I recently tried the new WT12 duty-free version together with WT12 Split Label Limited Edition and WTRR 101. The Split Label had an astonishing nose but the finish was somewhat bitter. I also missed the sweetness and chewability found in the other two. That being said, i still like it quite a bit. As far as the other two are concerned, I had a real problem telling them apart. Compared to the new WT12 the WTRR 101 was an incredible bargain, to bad it's vanishing fast...
    The time-stamp on my split label indicates it was bottled in 1994. I can't help but wondering if these differences we experience might just be natural batch variations.

Mats
    The version I have tried is the same Split Label Limited Edition as you, but I couldent find any time-stamp on it.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei
    The version I have tried is the same Split Label Limited Edition as you, but I couldent find any time-stamp on it.

Leif
    If I remember correctly it was printed on the foil that covered the stopper. Obviously it's now long gone...

Mats

Guru

Not As Sweet Throughout As I Recalled

This thread has prompted me to revisit Wild Turkey 12 y/o for two reasons.

First the prospect of adding to my stash caused me to set aside my usual tendency to conserve my dwindling supply.

Second, others' comments here are different than my months-old recollection of the last time I tasted it.

After tasting it each of the last three days, I find I must revise my earlier comments, as follows.

I have to say that there's some truth to others' criticisms. In my memory my overall impression was dominated by sweetness and richness on the nose and the beginning palate. However, I am now reminded that there is a gradual transition toward dryness, which becomes pronounced at the finish. I somehow had forgotten about that. I guess that's a good argument for making notes, even if one is incapable of labeling the subtleties that most professional reviewers love to write about.

Nevertheless, I stand by my statement that at this moment it's the bourbon I would like to have in my glass at the moment I leave this earth. There are others with a sweeter finish or even greater subtlety on the palate, but, to my taste, none that matches its richness up front. I find the dryness at the end to be not extreme, but just sufficient to make me crave another sip. Speaking of which . . .

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 03-11-2006 at 13:44.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,