Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru
    VoL,

I don't think I need to comment on BH do I? The one bottle I have I got "on sale" for $29 and bought for the girlfriend (and other Bourbon newbies) - a good deal compared to regular price. But that, I am convinced, is still a good 10 bucks overpriced.
    I suggest you keep that fancy, caped and belted bottle and replenish the contents with Old Grand Dad BIB, appropriately dluted. I'd bet no one would be the wiser.

Anyway I am very hesitant to say this, blasphemy comes to mind, but Baker's comes closest to reminding me of ------ . . .
    Dang it! I wish you hadn't said that. If memory serves (far from a sure bet) Baker's does have a quality that's similar to some of the sherry-finished, malt beverages. I have neither one on hand right now, so I can't test my recollection. If anyone has both Baker's and The M________n 12 y/o on hand, I'd love to hear the results of a head-to-head tasting.

Perhaps it would be better to post the results in some other thread.

If, as you imply, that's too far out, then a comparo of Baker's and Eagle Rare Single Barrel (often likened to grape spirits) might be interesting.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 03-12-2006 at 14:48.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    VoL,

If, as you imply, that's too far out, then a comparo of Baker's and Eagle Rare Single Barrel (often compared to grape spirits) might be interesting.
    I actually did that one this past fall. The Baker's really stood out as a more balanced flavor, while the Eagle Rare had a sort of rubberiness to it that was unflattering when compared to Baker's, though the ERSB is a fine bouron. I think the major advantage of the Baker's in this tasting was its spiciness, which complements the warmth of a higher-proof bourbon, in my opinion. I have a limited tasting vocabulary, so I'm sure I'm not expressing it that well, but this comparison really showed me how much I like Baker's.
    I'd like to try it again with the grape spirit comparison in mind, but alas, I have neither Baker's nor ERSB on hand right now. The comparison to sherry-finished whiskies is also interesting.

Guru

Rubberiness?

Just to clarify, do you mean "rubberiness" in the sense of lacking sturdiness, focus, or backbone, or in the more literal sense, as "tastes like rubber"? I ask only so I'll know what to keep in mind, assuming I can remember that long, the next time I have the opportunity to compare them.

To clarify my own post, I should have said "likened", not "compared". I'll make that change if the time allowed to edit my earlier post hasn't expired.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Last edited by bluesbassdad; 03-12-2006 at 15:10.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple
    This BOTM finally tipped the scales and made me go out an buy my first bottle of Baker's. For some reason, here in Sapporo, Baker's is usually more expensive than Booker's, about ten bucks more. So, I hadn't been too tempted to try it. Recently, I noticed that some places sold it at a more reasonable price, so, I had been mulling a purchase over.

Yesterday I paid 3550 yen for it. I was on a bit of a shopping spree, I bought five other bottles as well. Blanton's Silver, Corner Creek 8 year old, Old Charter 12, Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old 90 proof and an Irish whiskey, Paddy's.

As soon as I got home I had a pour of Baker's. My first impression was disappointing. It seemed spirity and lacking in the spiciness that I value in a well aged bourbon. A little harsh on the throat. With some water added it was uninspiring. I went on to try some of my other purchases. I had a pour of the Corner Creek, another first, and it was okay. No wow. (I had a glass of Guinness in here somewhere.) Then I had a pour of the Paddy's and it was a nice Irish. I look forward to getting to know it. One of these nights I will line up all my Irish whiskeys and see what happens. Then I opened my Blanton's Silver, now that was more like it! Lovely cookie spices, sweet, Ahh.... And then I thought that I should give the Baker's one more try. I poured myself maybe 5-10 ml to rinse the glass out, swirled it around and it was wonderful. Now that the glass was 'clean' I poured myself 10 ml more and it was still great. A different kind of spiciness from the Blanton's was present. Licorice. So, my second impression was much better than my first.

Tonight, after work, I will give the Baker's another try, maybe two or three pours, to see what my third impression is.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed
    Tonight, after work, I will give the Baker's another try, maybe two or three pours, to see what my third impression is.
    Ed
    That's a good plan Ed!

I can very rarely judge a whiskey on just one measure/sitting - the only one recently was the VW Lot B that I just knew was right.

I remember that Baker's was always better the further down the label I got.

In fact I'm off to London soon - guess what I'll be bringing back with me? Well it'll be more that 1 bottle, but Baker's will be there for sure!

Disciple
    I am liking it a lot more tonight. Doesn't seem as thin as it did last night. Some vanilla, more brown sugar sweetness, some menthol and some licorice blending together. Nice. Very nice. I am not sure that it will make my 'always have some on hand' list. Then again, it might.
    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    Just to clarify, do you mean "rubberiness" in the sense of lacking sturdiness, focus, or backbone, or in the more literal sense, as "tastes like rubber"? I ask only so I'll know what to keep in mind, assuming I can remember that long, the next time I have the opportunity to compare them.
    I actually tasted a bit of rubber that night. I hadn't noticed it before with the ERSB, so it may have been strictly in comparison to the Baker's, which (at least for that bottle of ERSB, which was "hand-selected by Andronico's") had a much rounder flavor. It seemed that you could taste, not just feel, the high proof of the ERSB, and it seemed rubbery to me. It's the only whiskey I've had that experience with, so I should probably try another bottle of the stuff at some point.
    I'm interested to see what you find if and when you do such a comparison. It's a fine way to spend an evening.

Enthusiast
    Hey Ed!

It's like the old military intelliegence saying - "the only thing we know for sure is that we don't know anything for sure!"

Whiskey is a mood thing in my book. Sometimes it's the greatest thing in the world, sometimes it's almost a lodger, with my mind elsewhere.

Military intelligence. Surely an oxymoronic statment right there?

I tried a glass of this at a bar last night, but it was after glasses of Old Grand-Dad 114, Wild Turkey, Bookers, Bulleit, and Knob Creek, so I didn't really get a good feel for it. My tastebuds were fried to hell, but it reminded me of a smoother, thinner version of Bookers. I'll definitely give it another try some day when I can properly taste it.

Administrator in exile
    I'm sampling a bit of this tonight after at least a year without a taste. The nose is all leather and tobacco while the predominant flavor on the palate is maple. There is an "airy-ness" to the body that I am having dificulty discribing, but is quite pleasing to me. The finish is mint and cinnamon and it lingers for a while after the sip. This is my favorite Jim Beam whiskey for sure, and definitely in my top 10 overall.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi