Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guru

Hijack Alert!

Identifying a hallucination can be tricky. In this case, if she addressed you as "sir", then it was not a hallucination.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru
    I concur with Dave, but have to ask...Since when is "Hey Old Timer, where's the John?" considered starting a conversation?
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Actually I think there is a bit of a misleading comment in his story...it says the 21yo coed walked up and started a conversation, but it never said she started the conversation with HIM...apparently she walked up and started a conversation with the BAR
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

You may be right!

I'm a little fuzzy on the details but I think she said, "Hey Old Fart, move your #$$ so I can get a drink"
    Being partially deaf, I responded, "Your Place or Mine?"

Knowing my financial condition, she sympathized about my parents not being married.

It just went on from there.

You know how I cool I am with the women.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Guru
    I finally broke down and ordered a bottle of Baker's from Hi Time. This is the first time I've ordered a single bottle from them.

I resisted the temptation to add a few more bottles to the order in order to reduce the cost of shipping per bottle. Their order screens made that easy by not divulging the shipping cost. Yesterday I received an invoice in the mail. The shipping cost was $12, which brought the total to $50. Arg!

There's nothing else I really need right now, at least until the next BOTM is announced. Nevertheless, I wish I'd ordered at least enough to get the shipping cost per bottle down to the range of what the Arizona sales tax would have cost me. (If SB.com management were to publish an advance list of BOTM's, I for one would cheer.)

Last night I opened it. The pull tab on the wax-sealed top worked perfectly and easily. Pulling the cork required greater effort than usual, and there was no "Puhthunk" sound when it finally came out. I have no idea what that means, but it's never happened before. Later, when I removed the cork a second time, it made the customary sound. Strange.

Is it my imagination, or does a freshly opened bottle release more aroma than one that's been opened previously? During the nosing and tasting that followed, the sensations never quite measured up to the wonderful first impression within seconds after opening.

The nose included maple, cinnamon and something sharper, maybe clove. Those same elements carried through to the palate and finish. In the course of drinking two generous pours, the sweeter, maple side seemed to wane in favor of the clove.

There was just enough alcohol bite to cause me to try adding water, a few drops at a time. By the time I had added enough to reduce the bite noticeably, I found that the flavor had become less satisfying. Not only was it too weak, but the distinctive elements weakened in relation to the generic bourbon taste profile.

With my second glass I withheld the water. The not-altogether-unpleasant bite returned and so did the flavors. I think Baker knew what he was doing when he determined the bottling proof of his namesake.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle
    I'm a little fuzzy on the details but I think she said, "Hey Old Fart, move your #$$ so I can get a drink"
    Being partially deaf, I responded, "Your Place or Mine?"

Knowing my financial condition, she sympathized about my parents not being married.

It just went on from there.

You know how I cool I am with the women.
    I class myself as a guy who can tel the gags - but that is one funny/cool reply right there Ed!

Glad to hear you enjoyed a "toe curling" night!!

There is an old Army saying that sympathy needs to be looked up in the dictionary as it's the only place you'll find it - it's right there between sh*t and syphilis!

Apprentice

Baker's so so

Well, I've now sampled it on three different nights and my conclusions haven't changed much.

I never got the "bite" to go away, and I don't think the flavors are all that interesting as you add water.

Here's my theory: the corn part of the mash bill gets distilled and handled very nicely in this bourbon and yeilds wonderful flavor and some complexity, but the rye somehow retains a harshness that, for comparison, is smoothed in the rye found in Wild Turkey products and pleasing to me. I realize that's completely unscientific, but that's my taste reaction.

I found that this bourbon reminded me somewhat of the less expensive Tennesee whiskeys: JD#7 and George Dickel, although I liked it less than George Dickel.

Now I've got to figure out what to do with the 3/4 of the bottle remaining. May use it for mixed drinks.
    Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ123
    I found that this bourbon reminded me somewhat of the less expensive Tennesee whiskeys: JD#7 and George Dickel, although I liked it less than George Dickel.

Now I've got to figure out what to do with the 3/4 of the bottle remaining. May use it for mixed drinks.
    Too bad you don't live closer to me - I'd trade your 3/4 for a new bottle of GD.

Apprentice

What's up for April?

What's up for April?
    Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Connoisseur
    I was just thinking the same thing, what is up for April?