Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Bulleit?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Chuck Cowdery was the first to point out (in his excellent bourbon newsletter) that Bulleit is a high rye recipe. It takes most bourbon enthusiasts, and it took me, some time to accustom to the rye palate, whether in rye whiskey or in high-rye bourbon. The rye lends often a spicy minty note (someone referred here to hot cinnamon, which is a good description of Bulleit), sometimes musky perfumed note (e.g. the ORVW ryes, and some Wild Turkey rye), sometimes an oats-like, "muddy" note (current Overholt). Bulleit is actually an excellent, traditional bourbon whiskey. I am not sure the drop to 80 proof really will affect it much, obviously no one here will be thrilled about it, but it won't change the basic palate and for those who drink whiskey neat, 80 proof is plenty high enough speaking for myself anyway. Rye whiskey and high-rye bourbon tend to be more complex than low-rye bourbon or no-rye bourbon. Some people never get accustomed to it which is fine but at its best it is the height of the straight whiskey art.

Gary

Enthusiast
    Well put Gary.

The only reason I posted this question at all, is due to the fact that the drop in proof, has definately affected, what was a pretty good whiskey. It was dead on the money at 90 proof.

You'd have to taste it at the reduced strength to know - it ain't a smart move IMHO.

Thanks, and I agree some whiskeys don't drink well at a certain proof (i.e. if too low, generally). Eg I think Elmer T. Lee is perfect where it is. I'll keep an open mind on the Bulleit until I try it but am not encouraged by the drop in proof, certainly.

Do we know for sure Bulleit has dropped in proof wherever sold, or is it just in the international market?

gary

Enthusiast
    If ETL were to drop to 80 proof I think I'd be close to tears - is is perfect where it is. I am sure Mr. Lee himself would not ever let this happen. I am close to my 1st panic attack at the very thought of this!

I honestly don't know if Bulleit has dropped in proof in the USA but Jeff said he saw a bottle recently with the cork at 90 proof. I just tried their site but there is no contact details. I don't mean to harp on but I feel cheated that this decent pour has gone South.

BT is cheaper and better and at a solid 90 proof is one of the best pours for the money I've come across. I'll get my hands on some today I think, and try not to drink angry!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambernecter
    If ETL were to drop to 80 proof I think I'd be close to tears - is is perfect where it is. I am sure Mr. Lee himself would not ever let this happen.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. I don't think Jimmy Russell was any too happy to see his signature bourbon reduced to 90 proof, but it still happened. Evidently even the Master Distillers have no clout with the "suits".
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    Rye whiskey and high-rye bourbon tend to be more complex than low-rye bourbon or no-rye bourbon. Some people never get accustomed to it which is fine but at its best it is the height of the straight whiskey art.

Gary
    Well, I love Old Grand Dad (especially the 114-proof version), which is also supposedly a high rye recipe. So, I don't think high rye is the reason why I don't like Bulleit.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mrt
    I have a bootle of Bulleit (80 proof) and there's "aged for not a drop less than 6 years" statement on a label attached to the neck of the bottle. I read this on their website, too. It's not my favourite (as a beginner, yet), but I don't hate it, either.
    This confirmed my thoughts that maybe the export version of Bulleieieit has been dropped to 80 proof. Don't take this wrong, but with all the export only bottlings that those of us here in the U.S. have to do without it is nice to see something that maybe isn't better when shipped OUTSIDE the great U.S. of A.. There are many export only's I'd love to try, EW 15yr comes to mind and the list could go on...

All that aside, I have only experience Bul.... once and was not impressed and seem to be one of the few who dislikes the bottle, can you tell I don't remember or care to remember how to spell it?

I WILL buy a bottle one of these days and give it many opportunites to impress me as I never let a first, or even second impression be the final opinion. I think we all owe that to the bourbon world...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Tim, of course each of us has likes and dislikes within a given category. Each bourbon is to some degree different, eg Basil Hayden, Baker's and OG (except sometimes OG 86) are high-rye tasting whiskeys and I haven't warmed to them. I am simply saying rye in whiskey has certain attributes that in general some people never come to terms with. Eg when Bill Samuels Sr. devised the wheated recipe (or his version) for Maker's Mark, I believe he did not like the tang that comes from rye in small grains. Unless present in small quantities (eg the spec for Old Charter) it puts many people off. This does not mean that people who like a given rye-recipe bourbon or rye whiskey will like all examples of the category. (There is probably a math or logical formula to express this, I invite the more math-oriented to suggest it).

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 03-12-2006 at 07:24.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. I don't think Jimmy Russell was any too happy to see his signature bourbon reduced to 90 proof, but it still happened. Evidently even the Master Distillers have no clout with the "suits".
    Joe
    That is a true and alarming example right there!

Enthusiast
    I really didn't know that Baker's was a high rye whiskey - I know it's a cracking drink.
    You learn something new every time you logg onto this forum!