Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Oh, the humanity!!!

I just got a call from the Seelbach, who just got a call from UPS, my shipment home was "destroyed".

On my trip to Louisville this weekend I went to Old Town Liquors and picked up 10 bottles for the collection. Knowing that Northwest Airlines would not like it very much if I packed 10 bottles of Bourbon in my luggage, I arranged to have them shipped to my home. I did take the three most expensive bottles (Old Pogue, 95 Birthday, and Hancocks Presidential) in my luggage, but I shipped the rest, and it is gone forever. Sazerac Rye, Four Roses Single Barrel, VOB, Old Fitz 1849, Old Heaven Hill BIB, ORVW 10/107, VSOFitzgerald, all gone. I almost took the Four roses in my carry on, but thought " what could happen", and packed it with the rest.

A moment of silence please.

Good Bye fair Bourbon.

Administrator in exile
    Rob,

I raise my glass to your fallen soldiers. Our thoughts and prayers are with you
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

With Great Pain

I began reading your post, almost not wanting to know what was lost. Once I read that much too long list I gave a moment of respectful silence...

...and then I poured a drink.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Enthusiast
    Were they destroyed because it was being shipped illegally or did they break it on accident?

Novice
    Well, I've got a Four Roses and a ORVW 10/107 that I'll pour, in memory, but I think that you'd prefer I pour a Pogue to drink with you, in their honor.

Mike

Connoisseur
    Truly a sad day, an artists work destroyed without being enjoyed...what a waste...tonight, I drink to your loss my Bourbon drinking brother. Though I don't know you, I know your pain.
    Todd

Guru
    Take comfort in the fact that they did not fall into the hands of the TSA as did some of Cliff's a couple of years ago. At least they fell with honor.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Enthusiast
    Thank you all, for your heartfelt sympathy. Apparantly I did not adequately protect the contents from the gorillas that handled the package. My next trip to Kentucky I plan on driving, and I can be the gorilla.

Enthusiast
    "Destroyed?" Yeah, sure! The workers figured out what was inside.

The last time I went to KY I brought some sections of lightweight (but rigid) drainage hose I got at Home Depot. It is just the right diameter to slide bottles into and thus become armor. I was planning to pack bottles in my suitcases inside these tubes. Well, I ended up buying way too many bottles to put in the suitcase, so I packed most of the bottles tightly in a "case box" from the liquor store, and then placed that box inside a bigger box full of packing peanuts. Nice and safe. Took it on the plane, no problems.

I say, It may be illegal to ship alcohol to your state, but it's OK to bring it back with you.

Airline regs: You are allowed up to 5 liters! in your carry-on. No limit stated for your checked baggage. As long as it is <140 proof (ruling out certain 2005 vintages) they don't care.

Mike

Connoisseur
    That is some of the worst news I've heard. BTW I would not be too surprised if the workers did get into this and help themselves.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...