Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I am curious if our foreign readers understand the use of the term "Oh the humanity" as title of the thread. It is a reference to a disaster in the 1930's in New Jersey: a large balloon carrying paying passengers designed by Zeppelin burned and crashed with the loss of many lives unfortunately. I think it was called Graf Zeppelin. A live radio show was covering the docking of the craft and the announcer when the fire started reported on that and the ultimate demise of the craft. His tone was more than sombre, he was obviously upset and in fact half-crying. He used the expression, "Oh the humanity" in the course of the broadcast and it has entered American lore (and beyond to a degree) as an emblem of extreme emotion and trauma. Of course on the thread it is being used in a different way, humorously and not of course with any disrespect to the tragedy which gave rise to the expression, but that is the origin of it.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 03-08-2006 at 06:47.

Connoisseur

pappy 23 story

I recently purchased 3 bottles of pappy 23 for $175 a pop. I promised one to a co-worker and put it in my car to give it to him after work. At lunchtime a few of us went out and took my car and someone saw the bottle in placed it where back speakers in a car would be. (not sure that to call that area, but behind the backseats) Lunch went fine and we returned, but the bottle stayed in that spot. I leave work at 4 pm and come back to my car and see the bottle on its side where it was left with the cork popped out?!? 3/4 of the contents spilled on that area of my car and a bourbon smell that reminds me everyday of my loss. I was sick to my stomach when I saw it!

What's bothers me is the following. The bottle was sealed and has a wax dipped top. How the hell did it open up? Could it open just by being in the sun and on it's side? I am still perplexed, but very saddened by this loss.

I feel your pain as well..........

Connoisseur
    Check out Bettye Jo's post in Why don't the sell White Dog that might explain your loss! If not that then one of your buddies had a better lunch than you!
    Todd

Enthusiast
    Most likely the bottle contents heated up in the sun, expanded, and forced the cork out. Physics at work. This thread has made me very sad. I'll toast to you both tonight.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    I am curious if our foreign readers understand the use of the term "Oh the humanity" as title of the thread.
    Gary
    I didnīt know about that, Gary. Thanks for the historical background

I have heard the phrase before but I would never have guessed its gruesome roots.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Hedmans, dial into www.nlhs.com/tragedy.htm. You will see a story of the disaster with an audio link of the radio broadcast, the announcer was Herb Morrison. He mentions the "humanity" term at .36 in the broadcast. It was a dirigible, the Hindenburg that burned and crashed due to being hydrogen-filled. Its demise spelled the end (to this day) of dirigibles as a form of commercial transport. The ship was a symbol of growing Nazi power. There were rumours the cause was sabotage but it appears to have been lightning. Its demise hardly humbled the rising Hitler regime but it was a kind of propaganda failure for Hitler, as was the success of Jesse Owens at the Olympic Games around the same time (circa 1937). Unfortunately it took at lot more than that to topple Hitler...

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 03-08-2006 at 09:34.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Connoisseur

thanks

Mr. Ed,

Thanks for the link. I am less perplexed now since it happened to someone else with a wax top as well. What do I do? Can I report it and get a replacement bottle? I almost feel that the extreme heat and having the bottle open for 4+ hours probably hurt the remaining 1/4 bottle of contents as well.

Taster
    I can't count how many apprehensive hours are spent on tarmacs and at carousels, visions of old Samosonite commercials running through our heads. Knock on wood, I've been lucky so far. My condolences.
    More whiskey. Less complaining. - Overheard at SXSW music festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos
    ...Can I report it and get a replacement bottle?..
    I hate to break this to you, but the care of that bottle became your responsibility once it left the store. They leave a space between the top of the fill and the bottom of the stopper to account for reasonable expansion. Storage at high temps isn't common or recommended.
    Tim