Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead
    Hi MythRenegade, I'm also new to this board; in fact, this is my first post!
    Welcome to you, too. We seem to agree about the value of this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead
    ...and one which, because of the unique bottle, I like quaffing straight!
    As in "straight from the bottle"? The way I like drinking milk, but get fussed at for? Bravo, sir. BRAVO.

Enthusiast
    Welcome, mythrenegade. It hasn't been much time since I found this site and forum, but I feel lucky and happy to have joined here. A friendly and informative site here.

Apprentice
    I'm a newcomer too and find this place very informative. It was Maker's Mark which first turned me onto fine bourbon as I gradually backed out all mixers. Then I just started sampling a lot more bourbon than scotch and here I am.

Apprentice
    I also moved from single malt Scotch (Highland Park 18 yr, Laphroaig 12 yr, Ardbeg 10 yr, The Macallan 12 yr, have always been at the top of my list) to bourbon. I have to admit I enjoyed the whole "elite" aspect of SMSW, but it was always about the taste. I've always taken my whiskey neat, sometimes adding just a splash of water to bring out the flavor, and initially I didn't care much for the comparative sweetness of the corn. Like many in this thread, my first taste was Maker's Mark, and although I've come to appreciate it for what it is, I definitely prefer the spice and bite of bourbons with a lot of rye. I love WT Kentucky Spirit and never say no to Bookers (Noe pun intended). I was recently given a bottle of 1792 and found it very tasty - it's definitely worth a try.
    Mad Mac
    "If you want to sing out, sing out!"

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ123
    I'm a newcomer too and find this place very informative. It was Maker's Mark which first turned me onto fine bourbon as I gradually backed out all mixers. Then I just started sampling a lot more bourbon than scotch and here I am.
    Good choice sir!

I have said before that Maker's was the 1st better quality whiskey I tasted. It enforced my decision that Bourbon is a great drink, that would become a passion of mine.

Makes me laugh now, because I had tried WT 101 as a kid on numerous occasions and found it a tad harsh. Now I love the whole WT family and have done for some years.

Just goes to show how tastes mature with age/experience.

Apprentice
    Egad, Mad Mac. If you replace Laphroaig 12 with Lagavulin 16, then those four are EXACTLY my open single malt shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac
    I also moved from single malt Scotch (Highland Park 18 yr, Laphroaig 12 yr, Ardbeg 10 yr, The Macallan 12 yr, have always been at the top of my list) to bourbon. I have to admit I enjoyed the whole "elite" aspect of SMSW, but it was always about the taste. I've always taken my whiskey neat, sometimes adding just a splash of water to bring out the flavor, and initially I didn't care much for the comparative sweetness of the corn. Like many in this thread, my first taste was Maker's Mark, and although I've come to appreciate it for what it is, I definitely prefer the spice and bite of bourbons with a lot of rye. I love WT Kentucky Spirit and never say no to Bookers (Noe pun intended). I was recently given a bottle of 1792 and found it very tasty - it's definitely worth a try.
    Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy