Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Storing after opening bottle?

What should we do with opened bottles? Someone told me that the taste starts to go after 6-12 months. That doesn't bother me with my regulars, but I'm now accumulating and tasting more and more and even have a bottle of Distiller's Masterpiece and a few WT Tributes that I just found and don't want to open them if I need to "run" through them in six months.

Would a good idea be to use those wine stoppers where you suck out the air and create a partial vacuum? They definitely enable bottled wine to last longer.

Would a good idea be to refrigerate, e.g. in wine cooler?

I'm not sure it's scientific, but I do think my whiskey changes a little with breathing.

Administrator in exile
    I have at least 10 bottles that have been open for more than 4 years that I sample every-so-often and I have experienced no ill-effects from oxidation or aging. I recommend you store you bottles in a relatively cool area out of direct sunlight and you'll be good to go.

Welcome to Straightbourbon.com
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur

wine preserver

I use a spray called wine preserver. Works for all my spirits and works wonders on wine as well.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos
    I use a spray called wine preserver. Works for all my spirits and works wonders on wine as well.
    A spray??? Please elaborate.

Connoisseur
    It is a nitrogen based spray that replaces the oxygen. I never did chemistry but supposedly nitrogen is neutral in its effect, unlike oxygen. I use a nitrogen based "winekeeper" system for my wine and it definitely keeps the wine better than any of the vacuum plug systems.

Connoisseur

vacuum vs wine preserver spray gas

The vacuum crap doesnt work. I tested it with wine and it's crap, so I can only imagine what it does to spirits.

The wine preserver spray works great. Here is a link.

http://www.privatepreserve.com/

Taster
    I've read some postings at alt.drinks.scotch-whisky that the nitrogen-based preservers may add a "carbonation effect" to the contents (wine, whiskey, etc.) of the bottle. Any reports on this?

Connoisseur

so far so good

I havent experienced that yet.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Thumbs up Sounds like a bunker to me!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    I recommend you store you bottles in a relatively cool area out of direct sunlight and you'll be good to go.
    Sounds like a bunker to me!
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I have never experienced this with wine(I keep my number of whiskey bottles open at any one time fairly low). It would seem that to have any sort of fizzyness happen there would have to be enough of a pressure difference between the interior of the bottle and the outside atmosphere. since the spray is intended to be sprayed in the open and then replace the cap it sounds unlikely to add enough pressure to do this. Unless someone has fitted some type of pressure cap and found a way to add a fitting to the spray can, I can think of no way to produce this.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile