Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Apprentice

Price Factor in buying bourbon

A $100 bottle of bourbon is equivalent to a $30 bottle of wine in cost per drink (alcohol equivalent drinks). If you buy a 100 proof or cask strength then it's more like a $120-$150 bottle of bourbon is equivalent to a $30 bottle of wine.

And who hasn't bought a $30 wine (or more).

I recently bought a bottle of bourbon for $225 - That's really only like drinking a $65 wine bottle.

And if you think about the myriad great $30-$60 bottles of bourbon, that's really like buying wine for $10-$20 a bottle.

Tell that to the spouse if you have to justify why you spent so much.

Administrator in exile
    Yeah, and she'll tell me that my $17 bottle of Buffalo Trace is "roughly" equivalent to a $150 pair of Jimmy Choos.

Edit: I'm sorry, I have just been informed that there is no way in hell she could get a pair of Jimmy Choos for less than $250. But she concedes that they would be worth at least a bottle of Stagg!
    Last edited by jeff; 03-15-2006 at 18:00.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

That Didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Yeah, and she'll tell me that my $17 bottle of Buffalo Trace is "roughly" equivalent to a $150 pair of Jimmy Choos.

Edit: I'm sorry, I have just been informed that there is no way in hell she could get a pair of Jimmy Choos for less than $250. But she concedes that they would be worth at least a bottle of Stagg!
    She counted, 1 Stagg, The WT Tribute, 2 Blanton's and a Booker's.

We are off to the mall and she's as determined as I have ever seen her.

I'm concerned.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc
    She counted, 1 Stagg, The WT Tribute, 2 Blanton's and a Booker's.

We are off to the mall and she's as determined as I have ever seen her.

I'm concerned.
    oh geez...this thread could open up a can of worms if we don't handle it right!

Connoisseur
    AJ, I like your logic but it went over about as well as when I tried to convince her that since she is a teacher and had summers off I should be able to retire 3-4 years earlier than her to make up for all of her off time.

The wine thing didn't go over since I have over 200 bottles stored away right now. I have found some relief by showing her that my average cost of a bottle of bourbon has been cheaper than what I was spending for Scotch <G>.

Tom

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Edit: I'm sorry, I have just been informed that there is no way in hell she could get a pair of Jimmy Choos for less than $250.
    I realize (once again) that I am a lucky man, indeed. Not only do I have no idea what Jimmy Choos is (are?), but I just checked with the boss, and neither does she!

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Well, they're shoes. and though it might seem that shoes would last longer than a bottle of whiskey, they would be out of style long before then and be wasted wad of money on less leather than it takes to make a belt.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple
    My point related to the problems in comparing bourbon & wine on a value basis, not so much the difference between different proofs of bourbons.

But keep in mind that even BIB bourbons are "watered down." I doubt many folks stick to only barrel-proof bourbons, and with good reason. Many bourbons are better - or at least more drinkable on an everyday basis - at lower proofs. I don't feel like I'm getting better value from, say, Colonel Lee BIB or J.W. Dant BIB, than I'm getting from a "watered down" Van Winkle 10/90 or Eagle Rare SB or Elmer T Lee.

[Yes, my tagline is often attributed to W.C. Fields. No idea if he really said it or not, or quite how it was phrased. I've used it occasionally, and have been on other whiskey-related forums, but I imagine it's a common enough quote in whiskey circles.]
    Last edited by Sijan; 03-17-2006 at 00:12.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Connoisseur
    I don't know if I agree that many are better watered down. I will say they are different and in that respect can be good in their own right. I find that depending on my mood I might like something like a Stagg uncut, or sometimes with a bit of water, or sometimes with a cube of ice. Even though it's the same bourbon, each way is different to me.

I guess in that sense a barrel proof gives you more value if you take into account that you can add water or ice to it and have 3 different versions of the same bourbon. You can't really take a 86 proof Jim Beam and easily increase proof, and I wouldn't want to add water or ice to an 86 proof beam, at that point Nightquil might have more of a kick.

I think this may be the reason for the rancor over some distilleries lowering proof. It's not that the lower proof product is bad, it's that the higher proof version was good and now we have something that is less versitile for basically the same cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan
    But keep in mind that even BIB bourbons are "watered down." I doubt many folks stick to only barrel-proof bourbons, and with good reason. Many bourbons are better - or at least more drinkable on an everyday basis - at lower proofs. I don't feel like I'm getting better value from, say, Colonel Lee BIB or J.W. Dant BIB, than I'm getting from a "watered down" Van Winkle 10/90 or Eagle Rare SB or Elmer T Lee.

[Yes, my tagline is often attributed to W.C. Fields. No idea if he really said it or not, or quite how it was phrased. I've used it occasionally, and have been on other whiskey-related forums, but I imagine it's a common enough quote in whiskey circles.]
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Apprentice
    A $225 bottle of bourbon??? In the States???? What in the world was it?