Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

George Dickel #12 (White Label)

This is the first Tennesee whiskey I've had in a very long time - the last time I had a Tennesee (JD Black), I was quite underage, and I'm over 40 now.

Well, GD #12 will be a bottle worth replacing - even though it has a rather spirity nose, it goes down really well. At $16 a bottle, it's a mighty good value, too - $4 less than JD, and it's 90 proof instead of 80!
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Apprentice
    Yes, I like GD better than Jack Daniels and am not quite sure why JD has caught on so much more. If you cut GD with water, it's really quite mellow and enjoyable and the equal of many bourbons. it has a little bit of bite aftertaste like an unmellowed rye whiskey, but really it's not bad at all. I'd be very interested in the GD #12 Reserve which I've never seen in a store around here. GD #12 is an amazing value for the $. I keep an open bottle of GD#12 around all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
    This is the first Tennesee whiskey I've had in a very long time - the last time I had a Tennesee (JD Black), I was quite underage, and I'm over 40 now.

Well, GD #12 will be a bottle worth replacing - even though it has a rather spirity nose, it goes down really well. At $16 a bottle, it's a mighty good value, too - $4 less than JD, and it's 90 proof instead of 80!
    Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Guru

Thumbs up

Yes, GD No 12 was my main American whiskey before I got back into bourbon about five years ago. I had even switched a friend from bourbon to it! And he won't switch back. In my opinion, it is hands down better than JD Black.

However, I am very concerned that with all the ups and downs of the distillery and the Canadian distribution (is that still going on?), it will become only a shadow of its former self before too long.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    ...I am very concerned that with all the ups and downs of the distillery and the Canadian distribution (is that still going on?), it will become only a shadow of its former self before too long.

Tim
    Tim, a valid concern. George Dickel Distillery was on hiatus from 1999-Fall 2003 because of adequate in-hand stock to furnish then-current sales. The #12 white-label product is generally older than the #8 black-label -- a 'guesstimate' would be 6 years old. Thus, there will not be any 'new' (since 2003) distillate aged properly for #12 till 2009, meaning today's bottlings are at least 7 years old (1999 or before).
    Buy today!
    Tim

Guru
    I am another fan of Dickel #12. Years ago, it was my go-to whiskey. I haven't had it in quite a few years, owing to the fact that I prefer Kentucky Sour Mash. It remains, however, one fine whiskey.
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Thus, there will not be any 'new' (since 2003) distillate aged properly for #12 till 2009, meaning today's bottlings are at least 7 years old (1999 or before)
    I'm hoping that there is plenty of stock that in 2009 I can still buy 1999 distilled product. The return of SBR! at #12 prices!
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Taster
    I too think GD is a great pour at a good price. I' m not really a fan of JD.In my area GD is about $ 16. GD has a great taste and is a good change from my regular pours of rye and bourbon.

Administrator in exile
    Interested in what I think? Click here

Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru
    You gotta respect the opinions of a guy with a flamboyantly dancing Spiderperson on every post....
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane
    You gotta respect the opinions of a guy with a flamboyantly dancing Spiderperson on every post....
    Is he doing the Napolean Dynomite Dance Jeff???
    Joe