Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cluny Scotch

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fogfrog
    So I take it no one but me has tried the Cluny Scotch?
    Can't get it here. Sorry I can't help...

Enthusiast
    Dave, I heard great things about Grants and bought a bottle yesterday. Grants is ten bucks more a half gallon than Cluny. But for my taste, the Cluny is a bit better. It seems to have in it what I like about Chivas. They definitely have a different taste, the Cluny and the Grant's. I like the Cluny better.

I asked the guy at the liquor store about the Cluny and he said it sells like wildfire when it is on sale. I said, "On Sale?" I mean it only costs 15.29 a half gallon as it is. But I guess it goes down into the 13 dollar range or something.

The thing is that the Cluny is good straight. I think at least the way my taste buds are adjusted now, I'd have to add ice or water to the Grant's. The Cluny has less of that alcohol taste and more of a malt taste to it.

Paul

Also, if anyone knows a scotch forum, I'd be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by fogfrog
    ...if anyone knows a scotch forum, I'd be interested.
    www.whiskymag.com/forum
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 03-27-2006 at 07:04.
    Tim

Guru
    Different strokes and all that, but your mention of Chivas has caused me to lower my priority in regard to trying Cluny. Given a choice, I will drink Coors light instead of Chivas.

One of the more knowledgeable malt fans here told me that one of the malts in Chivas is Strathisla, which I also don't like. If someone were to confirm my inference that Cluny contains that malt, then I could skip it completely.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur
    Damn, Coors light is the anti-beer too. You must really not like Chivas. Your friend is correct, Strathilsa is a major part of it and it is even blended at the Strathisla distillery.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad
    Given a choice, I will drink Coors light instead of Chivas.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Illuminati in training

Virtuoso
    I've always been reticent about buying 1.75 liter bottles of anything, and I also haven't been keen about buying cheap Scotches. Maybe I ought to take another look at some of the cheaper blends (and "bastard" single malts [1]) out there, though. I'm quite unhappy about the price jumps that have occurred to some of my favorite single malts. It's been well over a year since I've had any Lagavulin - the last bottle I bought was about $52, and now it's bumping up against $80. Needless to say, I'm very glad to find that I thoroughly like bourbon, rye, and Tennessee whiskeys!

I've found a cache of Ardbeg 10 under $30 - while it's hit $50 elsewhere. Needless to say, I poach a bottle whenever I'm near that store... but I already have it well-bunkered.

(Hi Dane! If I'm ever down by St. Louis, I'll be happy to take that bottle of Ardbeg off your hands!)

As for Chivas, I found it to be a nice, inoffensive blend - but Compass Box Asyla is, IMO, a better blend and a better buy.

[1] Single malts where the distiller isn't identified, like the cheap Signatory Vintage bottlings.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Guru
    No Arfgag in my humble abode! I bought it for a friend who lives out in the sticks where all he can get are the very basics like Glenlivet and Glenfidditch. I try to find him something different every year. Started with Oban 14 which I don't mind in the least, then got him a Glenmorangie gift set with four glencairn glasses which was acceptable, and finally the Arfgag 10 this year which pretty much impressed me as what a cowchip infused cappucino might be like. He said he likes it fine though and he's welcome to it. At Chicago Whiskeyfest this week I plan on finding his next gift bottling, one I can enjoy with him.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur
    Go to Binnys and get a bottle of Bruichladdich 3D Peat Proposal. Sweet, peaty stuff.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Virtuoso

Thumbs up

Tonight, I decided that I ought to get myself a bottle of Fall '05 Stagg to squirrel away, and spied some Cluny on the Scotch shelf. A 750 ml bottle was a measly $8, so I grabbed one to take home along with the Hazmat II, and I'm sipping some right now.

While it'll never be mistaken for a Lagavulin 16, Glenrothes '74, or Campbeltown Loch 25, it's still enjoyable neat - and at its price, the bang-for-the-buck factor is incredible. It reminds me of an Irish whiskey, but with a smoky edge that clearly says it's a Scotch.

It's yet another example that even a cheap pour can be good!
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    I found out that the distribution of Cluny is a 15 yr deal with Kyndal Spirits (now Whyte & Mackay) of the UK.
    Illuminati in training