Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 80 Strong

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Max says HH didn't do it, but it could be HH whiskey bottled by Kulsveen, which is probably the most likely source.

Where is it being sold? I haven't seen it.

Enthusiast
    I saw this stuff last week at the Binny's at Belmont & Cumberland.

Has anyone actually tried it yet?

I note that rather than put up an actual web site, they set up a MySpace page as their brand's internet home. Very of-the-moment! Their manifesto:

One of the things that's really interesting about myspace and how the world is changing overall is that people, individuals, are able to get the word out about whatever they're doing without any kind of middle-man. We've all heard the stories about some garage band that makes a CD, puts up a myspace page and gets people turned-on to their music and they end up selling a whole mess of CDs and getting known and getting their music out there. The result is a happy band that can afford to make more music for the happy fans that dig their stuff (and who wouldn't want to be a rock star??). And they're able, because of the way the myspace community works, to do this independently, staying out of the reach of that whole corporate scene. We think thats awesome. 80 Strong was conceived to be an independent brand within an industry where gi-normous corporations are churning out the stuff we drink, packaging it to make it look genuine and home-grown and then putting billions of dollars into marketing to "us" meaning "us" as we are defined by some demographic study. That just blows my mind. We are all about "more power to the independents" because we are a truly independent brand and we like it that way. We're making something that's real and something that we believe in and that we think is pretty cool. And the way I see it, that's the spirit of what's going on at myspace and other sites like it that are getting people together for direct interaction in one big extended community. So, in case you care, that's why were on myspace and why we don't have a website. Come check us out, meet our friends, make some friends, be a friend, contribute and be part of the community.

I have to wonder about a marketing plan that will ultimately alienate customers if it's successful. They're aiming at people who don't drink bourbon now, but if they turn people on to bourbon, those very people will quickly realize that 80 Strong is overpriced and understrength. If there's something special about it to justify charging $20 a bottle, one would think they'd put it on the label somewhere. I suppose it's possible that it could be a fine bourbon, vatted from carefully selected honey barrels, but nothing I've seen in relation to it suggests that is the case.

Guru
    I got a bottle of 80 Strong.
    The best I can say about it is, nice label.

I did not finish it, I think maybe I have poured out the better part of 3 or 4 bottles of bourbon, and 80 Strong was one.

Guru
    Whiskey Magazine just did a review. They gave it (if my memory is accurate) a 7.5. Comments were so-so and not overly complimentary.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    Canned Champagne! Now I've heard it all.

Gary
    Anyone remember Champale?

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyvirus
    Anyone remember Champale?
    Back in the mid-seventies I was in retail, and we sold a lot of Champale.
    I couldn't swallow it.

Champale was a malt beverage (i.e., beer) meant to taste like champagne, with only partial success if I remember correctly. It was a very successful product for a while.

The canned champagne the 80 Strong guy put out was actual sparkling wine.

Re: 80 Strong

I happened across this review of 80 Strong on the Playboy web site. I'd say it's right on target.

Guru

In relation to Mike Veach's book project, I made a comment in the History forum about 80Strong and their use of myspace as their marketing vehicle. As I stated in my comments, they presents a very "edgy" image.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I happened across this review of 80 Strong on the Playboy web site. I'd say it's right on target.
    LOL....unfortunately, I can't review the article until I get home. Company computer auditing would frown on my bringing up Playboy.com.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog