Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,157

    Woodford Reserve Renumbered?

    On another whiskey site it is reported Woodford Reserve is appearing in bottles whose batch numbers have been restarted at one. The reason apparently is to indicate the batches being put together by Chris Morris. This would mean the bottles will bear the same batch numbers successively as when the first WRs were issued, at least until the last of the old numbers (circa 160?) is surpassed. This is a good catch and I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen such new bottles and if so what batches have been released, just No. 1, 1 and 2, etc.? Thanks

    Gary

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    On another whiskey site it is reported Woodford Reserve is appearing in bottles whose batch numbers have been restarted at one. The reason apparently is to indicate the batches being put together by Chris Morris. This would mean the bottles will bear the same batch numbers successively as when the first WRs were issued, at least until the last of the old numbers (circa 160?) is surpassed. This is a good catch and I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen such new bottles and if so what batches have been released, just No. 1, 1 and 2, etc.? Thanks

    Gary
    If so, could backfire. Personally, I would NOT buy a Woodford Reserve bottle for which I did not know the 'make' of the bourbon inside. Considering the inconsistencies they've been having with the pot stills, a 'new' Batch 1 and an original Batch 1 (which I have on the shelf, by the way) would be notably different.
    So, I hope it's not so.
    Tim

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    342
    I have a picture of my bottle but I cant get the picture small enough to be uploaded. It is true though. I have a bottle of Batch 1, signed by Chris Morris not Linciln Henderson.
    Joe

  4. #4
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    If so, could backfire. Personally, I would NOT buy a Woodford Reserve bottle for which I did not know the 'make' of the bourbon inside. Considering the inconsistencies they've been having with the pot stills, a 'new' Batch 1 and an original Batch 1 (which I have on the shelf, by the way) would be notably different.
    So, I hope it's not so.
    Tim,

    I agree with you 100% and I also have the “real” batch number 1 at home. The diffuse labelling when you often don’t even know in witch distillery it is distilled is the one thing I don’t like about American whiskey.

    Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

  5. #5
    Administrator in exile
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,904
    Gary,

    I have seen the new 1.75 size with batch #1 recently. It was along side the "regular" sized bottlings of batches 150+. Maybe they are only starting over with the large bottle?
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

  6. #6
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,157
    Thanks Jeff, Joe had mentioned that also re the 1.75. Maybe it will be restricted to that large format. If this is so it will be easy to distinguish it from the original batch 1 and the following ones. There was an oversize bottle in the original series but it wasn't as big as 1.75 litre and it didn't accompany each batch issued (I think).

    Gary

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Gary,

    I have seen the new 1.75 size with batch #1 recently. It was along side the "regular" sized bottlings of batches 150+. Maybe they are only starting over with the large bottle?
    Ah, now THAT beings to make sense -- I have purchased (and a few still remain on the shelf locally) a couple of VIP Batch 1 bottles that were produced in June 2000, designated on the case. That was the first year of VIP bottles. Apparently, each new size/issue begins at 'Batch 1'.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 03-22-2006 at 15:19.
    Tim

  8. #8
    Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,942
    I need to look at those again myself. I did notice Chris Morris signature rather than Lincoln Henderson on some of the bottles.
    ___Bobby Cox___
    ____________

    May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

  9. #9
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,394
    Yesterday I saw a standard 750ml bottle with Batch #188 stated, and had Lincoln Henderson's signature. Has anyone spied a 750ml with Chris Morris' signature? If so, what batch number was it?

    Also, what is the current batch number? If #188 is in El Cerrito, Louisville would seem to be in the 200s.

    Roger

  10. #10
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    334
    I picked up a 750 ml bottle about two weeks ago in Cherry Hill, NJ. I haven't cracked it yet. It's batch #209, signed by Chris Morris.

    What exactly is a "batch" anyway? Is this supposed to be "single barrel" bourbon, or is it something else?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Woodford Reserve
    By mythrenegade in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 08:36
  2. Woodford Reserve
    By MurphyDawg in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-02-2002, 16:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top