Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Woodford Reserve Renumbered?

On another whiskey site it is reported Woodford Reserve is appearing in bottles whose batch numbers have been restarted at one. The reason apparently is to indicate the batches being put together by Chris Morris. This would mean the bottles will bear the same batch numbers successively as when the first WRs were issued, at least until the last of the old numbers (circa 160?) is surpassed. This is a good catch and I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen such new bottles and if so what batches have been released, just No. 1, 1 and 2, etc.? Thanks

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    On another whiskey site it is reported Woodford Reserve is appearing in bottles whose batch numbers have been restarted at one. The reason apparently is to indicate the batches being put together by Chris Morris. This would mean the bottles will bear the same batch numbers successively as when the first WRs were issued, at least until the last of the old numbers (circa 160?) is surpassed. This is a good catch and I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen such new bottles and if so what batches have been released, just No. 1, 1 and 2, etc.? Thanks

Gary
    If so, could backfire. Personally, I would NOT buy a Woodford Reserve bottle for which I did not know the 'make' of the bourbon inside. Considering the inconsistencies they've been having with the pot stills, a 'new' Batch 1 and an original Batch 1 (which I have on the shelf, by the way) would be notably different.
    So, I hope it's not so.
    Tim

Enthusiast
    I have a picture of my bottle but I cant get the picture small enough to be uploaded. It is true though. I have a bottle of Batch 1, signed by Chris Morris not Linciln Henderson.
    Joe

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    If so, could backfire. Personally, I would NOT buy a Woodford Reserve bottle for which I did not know the 'make' of the bourbon inside. Considering the inconsistencies they've been having with the pot stills, a 'new' Batch 1 and an original Batch 1 (which I have on the shelf, by the way) would be notably different.
    So, I hope it's not so.
    Tim,

I agree with you 100% and I also have the “real” batch number 1 at home. The diffuse labelling when you often don’t even know in witch distillery it is distilled is the one thing I don’t like about American whiskey.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Administrator in exile
    Gary,

I have seen the new 1.75 size with batch #1 recently. It was along side the "regular" sized bottlings of batches 150+. Maybe they are only starting over with the large bottle?
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Thanks Jeff, Joe had mentioned that also re the 1.75. Maybe it will be restricted to that large format. If this is so it will be easy to distinguish it from the original batch 1 and the following ones. There was an oversize bottle in the original series but it wasn't as big as 1.75 litre and it didn't accompany each batch issued (I think).

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Gary,

I have seen the new 1.75 size with batch #1 recently. It was along side the "regular" sized bottlings of batches 150+. Maybe they are only starting over with the large bottle?
    Ah, now THAT beings to make sense -- I have purchased (and a few still remain on the shelf locally) a couple of VIP Batch 1 bottles that were produced in June 2000, designated on the case. That was the first year of VIP bottles. Apparently, each new size/issue begins at 'Batch 1'.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 03-22-2006 at 15:19.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    I need to look at those again myself. I did notice Chris Morris signature rather than Lincoln Henderson on some of the bottles.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Virtuoso
    Yesterday I saw a standard 750ml bottle with Batch #188 stated, and had Lincoln Henderson's signature. Has anyone spied a 750ml with Chris Morris' signature? If so, what batch number was it?

Also, what is the current batch number? If #188 is in El Cerrito, Louisville would seem to be in the 200s.

Roger

Enthusiast
    I picked up a 750 ml bottle about two weeks ago in Cherry Hill, NJ. I haven't cracked it yet. It's batch #209, signed by Chris Morris.

What exactly is a "batch" anyway? Is this supposed to be "single barrel" bourbon, or is it something else?