Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    One thing I can tell you about Jim Murray from personal experience is that he genuinely likes American whiskey. Some UK whiskey writers write about American whiskey because they have to, but underlying every comment they make is the unspoken, "but it's not scotch." Jim genuinely likes American whiskey and everything about it, and he likes the young ones because they tend to be the most un-scotch-like, if that makes sense. He hasn't said that to me explicitly, but I have drawn that conclusion from things he has said.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I agree but the same is true of Jackson - and he came first.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    I have no idea what teaberry is nor can I appreciate the thought being conveyed.
    http://home.swipnet.se/roland/teaberry.html

Head down to the drugstore or Wal-Mart and you can clear this up quickly, Ken.

I would have a hard time describing Teaberry, but it is distinct and a fairly unique flavor.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    One thing I can tell you about Jim Murray from personal experience is that he genuinely likes American whiskey. Some UK whiskey writers write about American whiskey because they have to, but underlying every comment they make is the unspoken, "but it's not scotch."
    I agree 100 % with this. With all due respect to Gary´s opinion, I cannot say that Jackson is able to match up Murray in this particular department.

There is, after all, no coincedence that it was Murray, not anyone else, who was appointed a Honorary Colonel of Kentucky.

In my view, Murray shines the most when he writes about the whisky world as a whole (as opposed to pure tasting notes) and I would really look forward to another book along the lines of his "Complete book of whiskey".
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyc
    http://home.swipnet.se/roland/teaberry.html

I would have a hard time describing Teaberry, but it is distinct and a fairly unique flavor.
    You might be more familiar with the name "wintergreen." Teaberry and wintergreen are synonymous for Gaultheria procumbens. It's found on forest floors and stands out in the winter against the rest of the brown foliage. If you break up a leaf in the palm of your hand (they are brittle), you will get that distinctive wintergreen aroma.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Thank you, Jeff. And this makes perfect sense, since Trace has a definite, minty edge, no doubt from the rye. But it still has a faint tannic side, too.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans
    There is, after all, no coincedence that it was Murray, not anyone else, who was appointed a Honorary Colonel of Kentucky.
    I can't speak for Jackson, but Murray is not the only whiskey writer to have received the commission of Kentucky Colonel. I am a Colonel, as are several other participants in this forum.

As for Jackson v. Murray, I would say Jackson is even-handed as between the two styles, but Murray I sometimes think actually prefers bourbon.
    Last edited by cowdery; 03-25-2006 at 15:49.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    I can't speak for Jackson, but Murray is not the only whiskey writer to have received the commission of Kentucky Colonel. I am a Colonel, as are several other participants in this forum.
    I was referring to UK writers.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator
    It isn't that easy it appears. I looked for some today with no luck. I did a google search and it is still available thru some Retro and Nostalgic candy warehouses. The product is cheap enough but shipping is a little rough these days.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Disciple
    Is the 2006 Whiskey Bible out yet in the U.S. or does anyone know when it's coming out?
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?